2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help. What to check next, What to do next

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 05:37 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Need help. What to check next, What to do next

You can buy just the connector from summit.
You could also cut one offa junkyard harness and solder it on.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:38 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: BlueBeast2

ok I was kinda working on doing a compression test but the engine was cold not sure how much difference that will make. That cylinder was 105 the rest on that side kinda jumped around 110,113,125 i think the numbers were. The paper is in my truck. Does that sound like a problem? Other then the slight mis the truck seemed to run fine. it doesn't make any bad noises or anything else to sugest a problem. I have been messing with that injector wire all day and just cant seem to get the damn thing off. If it is a dirty inj how does one go about cleaning it or do I have to buy new ones?

What plugs/wire/cap/ rotor do you guys recomend?

I was looking around and found the msd 8.5mm set cost 93.00 for my truck. Are they worth all that? And to reap all the benifits of a set of wires like that would I have to upgrade everything ie Coil, Msd cap and rotor? What really do they provide thats so much better then a normal replacement?
You can clean injectors in an ultrasonic bath. You can buy one at walmart for about $40 or so. Unbolt the fuel rail and pull straight up. Just take off the O-rings, put them in the bath, and cover them in seafoam and turn it on. Run each set of injectors for at least a half an hour and be careful of the seafoam as it will get hot.
When you reinstall them, put the O-rings back on and coat them with some PBblaster or motor oil. If the O-rings get bound up in the fuel rail housing or the intake manifold, they'll tear and leak gas. That's bad.

Squirt the stubborn injector wth some WD40 and see if that helps. When I first took mine off, the dirt that had worked it's way up the injector plug made it tough to get a few off, which is why I probably broke some clips. The red clip slides up but not off the plug, the black clip you have to depress while pulling is actually underneath this red clip so you have to kind of work your fingernail in there to get to it if you've got big fingers like me.

You should be able to find MSD 8.5 mm wires for cheaper than $93. Jegs has them for like $80.99. You don't have to upgrade any ignition components for the wires to help, the thicker wire basically eliminates arcing between wires and you won't have a problem with misfires eaven if you route them wrong. I slapped those on before adding a MSD6A box and blaster3 coil and noticed that my truck idled much smoother. The other benefit is that you they aren't going to wear out like a cheap set, you can reuse them thru several tune ups.
Any Brass cap and rotor will do just fine. Steve05Ram360 seems to be partial to the Mopar performance cap and rotor though, and it's got aluminum contacts.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:26 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OH I think thats where I messed up I was squeezing down at the bottom where that big black part is. I took a ride up to advance and got some new plugs. The guy there even said get msd's or get stuff from a dealer but was talking up msd. I ended up getting the Autolite 5224 plugs. It blows my mind you pay over5 dollars for a bosch plug and they only give you a 1 year warranty. Yet you pay 1.64 for Autolites and they give you a 2 year warranty.

I guess I'll get up tomorrow and throw these plugs in and see what happens.

rabbler could thoses numbers be low due to testing it cold? I got to thinking when you warm it up the heat probably makes everything expand so it might jump up

Old 04-20-2008, 09:12 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you get a good seal on your compression tester to the spark plug hole. Try a bit of grease on the o-ring.

I think Bosch Platinum plugs are JUNK!
I honestly would not install them in a Magnum engine if they were free. They Suck!

Old 04-20-2008, 09:30 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion

ha ha i thought they sounded good when i got them plus my mom works for Bosch (security camera division) so I figured I would get them. whenI got home tonight I said hell with them bosch ones they are junk I got cheaper ones. She goes yup they are expensive

Old 04-22-2008, 03:45 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion

ok ordered the MSD SF wires off ebay. Now just for ****s and giggles I was looking at the 6a boxes. Can I run one of the with the sf wires or do I need the SF box? Not sure which cap and rotor I'm gonna go with yet. I'm thinking about the Mopar Performance one.

Didn't get the plugs in today hope to tomorrow

Old 04-22-2008, 11:18 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope you dont need a SF box... i run the msd6a box with my SF wires , rember you will also need the tach adapter #8910 or it will set off a softcode..cap and rotor is up to you . MP , parts store , which ever make sure they are brass cap... need help hooking up the msd box look me up.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:32 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion

its my understanding that the mopar cap has aluminum things so i guess that won't work? Also i have been looking at the 6a boxes on ebay used. A guy from another forum said he wouldn't buy a used one of ebay. Would you recommend me not doing that as well or do you think his brother in law just got screwed?

Old 04-22-2008, 12:31 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: BlueBeast2

its my understanding that the mopar cap has aluminum things so i guess that won't work? Also i have been looking at the 6a boxes on ebay used. A guy from another forum said he wouldn't buy a used one of ebay. Would you recommend me not doing that as well or do you think his brother in law just got screwed?
i got mine thru ebay... with any thing else you take a chance..

Old 04-22-2008, 01:33 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Bosch plugs are crap. I've never heard anyone say a good thing about them yet I've heard lots of people say they had problems after installing them. I didn't like the Autolites either after using them for a few months. Imo you should only run Champions in these things although a few people have had okay luck with Autolites.

Quick Reply: Need help. What to check next, What to do next