2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

This is weird

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This is weird

I went for a period where I was driving with OD off, since I was doing mostly 30-45 mph driving. With the OD off, sometimes when I hit a bump, the rpm's will jump about 200-300. I think the reason it does it on bumps is because my foot presses the gas harder during the bump. But, it's weird that it does not ever do it when OD is on... Could turning the OD off cause a slight slip in the tranny? Ah well, I'm not too worried about it. Now I just drive with OD on always. It does seem weird, though.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Shawn86
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: This is weird

My gues would be that since the truck is running at a higher rpm, even just a slight change in the throttle position is a lot more noticible then when your not at that higher rpm.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

That could be it... It has no problems with any slipping during accelerationor anything like that. I thought maybe itcould bethe TPS or the TV cable...maybe that it was at a range very close to kicking into a lower gear, and the sudden depression of the gas pedal caused it to start to change, then by the rpm dropping before the change could occur, it just acted like a slip. Does that make sense?

Old 04-19-2008, 10:58 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Ah that is very strange, I have the exact OPPOSITE problem. When I'm in overdrive, in 4th gear, everytime I hit a bump I accidentily push the pedal,it's so fricken annoying! I don't know what I can do to avoid it, but I just have to have my foot on the pedal so tightly to keep monentum that if I try to let off for every bump, I'll loose all my speed and momentum!

Old 04-20-2008, 01:00 AM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

Your problem makes more sense to me. Most transmissions equipped with overdrive are initially set to kick out of overdrive very easily for passing on the freeway. That is probably what yours is doing...that slight press on the gas pedal tells it to kick into Drive, then it aborts the change when you let off the pedal...that's my guess anyway. If mine were doing that, I wouldn't think too much of it...but mine doing it with OD off is what baffles me.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:51 AM
froesen
Professional

It's likely not kicking out of overdrive in 360's problem, but rather the TCC unlocking....mine does the same and i'm pretty damn positive it's the TPS being slightly worn out in that one "cruise" spot. Have yet to change it. It's also possible that the bump is tapping one of the switches on the brake pedal, there are multiple brake switches, so even if your cruise doesn't kick out or your brake lights don't come on (they're on seperate contacts) doesn't mean that the computer doesn't think you're on the brakes, and releases the TCC.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:32 AM
mstephen89
Captain

+1, its not switching to another gear, the torque convertor is unlocking. Change your TPS, it will most likely solve your problem

Old 04-20-2008, 05:37 PM
MMGoose

Same here with od on it is a pig...............I just drive with it off now.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

I did the cleaning mod on my tps...guess I should just replace it instead of polishing a turd.

Quick Reply: This is weird