2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission problem found part in pan

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:32 PM
RusK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problem found part in pan

I got a 1997 1500 4x4 5.2l with a automatic Transmission problem. I found a metal wedge like part in the pan. It shifts ok at low throttle 1st thru 4th but will stay in 1st if pushed at all. Even will down shift back to 1st below speeds of 30 MPR. Does any body have some words of wisdom for me? Thanks

Old 04-20-2008, 10:34 PM
mstephen89
Captain
Default RE: Transmission problem found part in pan

tv cable could be out of adjustment, as for the part in the pan, its probably part of a snap ring, and though its not a good thing, I personally would not worry about it

Old 04-20-2008, 10:49 PM
RusK

It isn’t a not a snap ring it looks like a wedge you would put under a door top keep it open. It has a grove at the thin edge and a hole in the other that looks like a shaft went into. Thanks

Old 04-20-2008, 11:17 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The anchor that goes between the front band and front band adjuster if it looks like you say it does. It's a very common issue with these. You can try pulling the valve body and sticking it back in. It seems like it's also common for the strut to come out when this happens. You probably don't have 2nd gear now. Am I right? If you want to fix it don't drive it at all until you do. I drove mine probably 400 miles or so after it started shifting funky. I was told I can just put this piece back in and hope the bands aren't burnt up. I had it put in and it did okay for a month or so then it started not wanting to shift exactly right and also wanted to slip really badly taking off like the band was burnt off. It barely wanted to take off. It also didn't at first want to shift out of first at WOT but some TV cable adjustment fixxed that.

Anyway I got another 2k miles or so out my tranny before it got bad but imo if you have to pay someone to do it I wouldn't do it. I finally got fed up and bought a new APS transmission. If you can do it yourself it's worth a shot. Do a search on PS.com for info on this. It's a pretty common issue in these transmissions. It's one of the flaws.

Both me and Spike on PS had this issue and we fixxed it but have both had problems since and they have just not been right. Others have had that problem too but I'm not sure if it fixxed theres or not. It seems like something people say to try to fix but if you have to pay someone a few hunred in labor imo I wouldn't do it again only to get a extra 2k miles but thats up to you.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:38 PM
RusK

that sounds like it i will try it this week thanks

Old 04-20-2008, 11:48 PM
wildwolf59
Professional

rusk, i was just telling theaterman about this problem too....my anchor fell out and i put it back in but i dont think it is going to do any good cause now i cant get it to shift at all out of first!...so i am going to try a few more things and if that dont work then i am going to yank it out and have it rebuilt!!!!....tired of messing with this damn tranny!!!...lol...[:@]

Quick Reply: Transmission problem found part in pan