2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

band adjustment screw

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 04:34 PM
wildwolf59
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default band adjustment screw

i posted this to hometheatreman but will to you guys too...i adjusted my band that is on the outside of the tranny (first and second shift) and it seems that the screw is way too far in...when i have it adjusted down to 72 inch pounds and back out 2 and 7/8 out the screw is countersunk into the locking nut and to me it seems like that screw should be sticking out of the locking nut rather than inside of it....to me it seems like that band is wore out and the screw goes way to far in...can this band be that wore out???... i took of the tranny a while back and found that anchor in the bottom of the pan and i put it back in and got it all back together and now it wouldnt shift out of first at all when before when the anchor fell out the truck would shift sometimes but now it wont at all.....any suggestions or answers from the tranny techs???...lol!

Old 04-20-2008, 10:22 PM
wildwolf59
Professional
Default RE: band adjustment screw

anybody?

Old 04-20-2008, 10:37 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think you got it all back together properly.
The friction material is very thin on the band. even if it was worn through I think you should still get a proper adjustment without bottoming the adjuster.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:23 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about the adjusting screw part as I'm not super familiar with adjusting them other than what the service manual says. Sorry. You might want to go to Pavementsucks.com and see if you can get ahold of V10sport.

I wouldn't be suprized if the bands were burnt up after that anchor falling out. I had that issue and it held the trans over for about 2k miles until it got really bad again. Some of that time was milking it though with it bad. It got to where it didn't shift right and just wanted to slip really badly like the band was burnt up when taking off. I think when that piece falls out it may mean you are going to need a new transmission soon. I've heard of guys fixxing it but me and the other guy that had it around the time on PS I did both had them not be right for long afterwards.

This is a common issue with these transmissions. IMO Dodge should have designed them differently.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:43 PM
wildwolf59
Professional

thanx for the info guys....rabbler,i can see what you are saying about the friction material, i can see it on the band but when i go to tighten it down it has to go that far before the 2 ends of the band to touch so that is why i asked that question earlier...i will see if i can find a schematic of it, and theaterman, mine is not slipping i just cant get it to shift out of first at all!!!

Old 04-21-2008, 01:12 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sure you have that piece in and everything like it should be? With that out it will cause you to lose second gear. I thought it would skip into third but not for sure. It may not just leave 1st. I don't know for sure as I never ran mine after I found it in the pan. I was just told it would cause me to lose second.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:06 AM
wildwolf59
Professional

yeah im going to check it out again and make sure it is in there right...i have all of it apart right now so i will look it over again!!!!....thanx guys!

Old 04-21-2008, 12:09 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

I'm not trying to imply anything here, but just to make sure:

72 inch lbs.= 6 ft. lbs

Old 04-21-2008, 01:13 PM
wildwolf59
Professional

yeah i made sure i had the inch pounds torque wrench!!!!!...didnt want to make that mistake...i have the tranny open and it looks like everything is put together right it just seems that my set screw goes way to far in!!!

Old 04-21-2008, 01:42 PM
ron333
Captain

Mine did the same thing. I thought I was looking at the wrong thing when I tried adjusting mine. It didn't exactly look like the picture in the manual, and it never seemed to tighten up like I thought it should, so I placed it back to where it was before I started, and left it there. I figured I was missing some info or was totally off base on what I was doing. I definately didn't want to screw it up by adjusting it too much, or adjusting the wrong thing. The tranny is starting to slip now when I first put it in gear, and occasionally when I am starting from a stop, it will slip in and out of gear a few times before catching. I hope to get this thing to last me a little while longer before I replace it with a Dr. Evil. Maybe in the next week or so I will try once again to adjust it.

Quick Reply: band adjustment screw