2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Interior Painting?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 07:05 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Painting?!?!

I have a parts truck with a 4-door cab (I have been looking for one for months), the same exterior color as mine. The only problem is, the interior is a light grey, but I prefer a darker color (hides dirt better). I bought the expensive fabric and vinyl paint and test sprayed a few parts, but they aren't holding the paint very well. I have used various methods, including as soap and water, rubbing alcohol and Sno-Bol (hydrochloric acid), to apparently no avail. Am I missing something? Any suggestions?

Old 04-20-2008, 08:14 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Interior Painting?!?!

Adhesion promoter.
When I painted my interior, the overhead console and airbag control cover (box on floor below dash) were a real PITA. Gauge bezel, dash trim ring, door pulls, power controls and hvac vent vanes took the paint fairly easily with the promoter. Overhead console had reactions with the paint and promoter but eventually worked on 2nd retry. The airbag control cover I must of painted it 5 times before it finally worked.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:28 PM
CySlyde
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Interior Painting?!?!

Havn't tried it on dodges yet, but I would assume it's the same material as most other vehicles... adhesion promoter and a good clean surface will really go a long way. I usually use a almost dry rag of mineral spirits to clean it, then let it sit for a day. havn't had an issue with anything I've done to date.

the interior dies are worthless. I have never seen one go on in a good even coat, or better yet stick for an extended period of time.

Quick Reply: Interior Painting?!?!