2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird Noise.....Need Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:12 PM
kittenpup05
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Noise.....Need Help!!!!!

We have a 1998 1500 Quad Cab with a Magnum V8. We were returning from a trip and we believe it to be the transmission making a weird sound. The sound will start around 65mph and continues until you reach about 75mph and the sound disappears. It will reappear whenever you lift your foot off of the accelerator and continues making the sound until the speed falls below 50mph. The sound is hard to describe as there is no vibrations or anything. I guess the best way to describe it is like it is an engine retarder only not as loud. This is an automatic tranny and I strongly doubt there is a retarder on it. This just started recently. Any help that anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:16 PM
WD OPN Throttle
Rookie
Default RE: Weird Noise.....Need Help!!!!!

If it's kinda like a squeal then it may be the pulley on on eof the accessories

Old 04-20-2008, 10:23 PM
kittenpup05

There isn't a squeal. I stopped on the side of the highway and checked the tranny fluid and the oil level and everything appeared normal. It doesn't sound like it is a pulley or the belt. It just does it at 65 and will continue to 75 then if you take your foot off the gas pedal it will still make the sound until the speed drops to about 50. I just wish I could describe the sound better. I really dont want to shell out the money to have it looked at but I may have to. It is not a grinding or squeal sound. Like I said its hard to explain lol.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:25 PM
WD OPN Throttle
Rookie

Not a clue then.[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 04-20-2008, 10:33 PM
mstephen89
Captain

sounds like torque converter bolts are loose. Many people have had this problem, the best part is its free to fix, just pull the starter and inspection plate, and re-torque the torque convertor. Not sure what to torque them too, but shouldnot be hard to find out

Quick Reply: Weird Noise.....Need Help!!!!!