2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

35" tires - highway friendly tread

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 08:35 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 35" tires - highway friendly tread

What is the smoothest, least rolling resistant tread you can get in a 35" tire? Everything is either an A/T or an M/T. An A/T would be better then an M/T, but still, a good all purpose highway tread or a less aggresive A/T would be much better for how I use my truck now. I plan to still keep the M/T's, but think I might start looking for a less aggressive tire for use when towing and highway driving.

I think thye Toyo A/T is not very aggressive, and I think I can get it in a 315/70/17. Anyone run this tire? Any other suggestions for a smoother tire that can be bought in a 35" size?

Old 04-25-2008, 08:46 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: 35" tires - highway tread

Saw a Yokohama Geolander H/T-S #G051 on tirerack.com

They've got a an All terrain that's a little less aggressive as well. the A/T's got a better review on Discount tire. Even checked the Springs area for you. They're low stock everywhere around you. Might have to call ahead to see if they can round up 4 or 5 for you.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:52 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

That's funny, I just did a tire size search on 1010 tires, and came up with that G051 too. That could be the only tire of it's kind that goes as big as a 315. Interesting. I checked the Toyo A/T, and it doesn't go that big.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:05 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well both sites seem to have pretty good reviews and a ton of them are truck owners of various types. Tires that big get you away from the SUV whiny soccer-mom reviews, which is nice. I can't stand those reviews of people that buy aggressive tread tires for looks and gripe about road handling and a quiet ride.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I love my Toyo's, but just don't need a mud tire as much as I had planned when I originally bought them. I hate to take them off because I like how they look and they are good in deep snow, but I think for towing and stuff during the summer time, a different tire might be a better fit. Just hate to spend that kind of coin on another set of tires. I'll probably just live with the Toyos, and call it good. until they wear out, then switch to an A/T or H/T.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:55 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

although I wouldnt call them the smoothest or quietest... my pro comp xtreme at's have served me well... 73K miles, still lots of tread left, great off road traction and more than acceptable on road traction. work well in the rain on slick roads as well. At approx 70k after a rain, I had a chance to "test them" with a hard braking opportunity and they shined...

I highly recommend them. Pics can be found in my photobucket site... linked at the bottom IIRC.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:58 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Silver, since you sound exactly how I feel with my 35" tires, I think I have come up with two of the best solutions for a smooth and quite ride in a 35" sized tire. I've looked carefully at the Procomp All-Terrain. It has a 50,000 mile warranty, and is Severe weather rated. Up here in Maine, we get all kinds of weather, so this bowes perfectly with me. The procomp also has a smooth ride, which I desperately would like to achieve. The other tire I've looked at, is the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ. That tire also has a very nice smooth tread design. It also has a heavy load capacity because of it's thick sidewall and its 3-ply sidewall. So, those two tires I really like. I most likely will go with the Procomp though. I think it will offer a little better traction offroad, has the big warranty, and most importantly to me, it rides smooth and is severe weather rated, something my mud tires defiantly were not last winter lol.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:41 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why run a tire that big if you want a smooth tire? Not trying to be mean but just wondering. I've seen some super smooth tires on big lifted trucks but can't remember what they were.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:15 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who says big tires have to equate to poor road performance and loud noises? An average dumptruck tire (which is infinantly larger than a 35" tires) rides much smoother than my tire, so it can be done. Personally, I love the look of a big tire on a lifted truck, but that doesn't mean I need a tire that does good in one department (mud), and sucks in everything else. Quite frankly, mud is my lowest priority with my truck. I use the 4 wheelers to beat around in the mud, I use my truck for work, so I need a tire that will caiter to all of my daily driving needs. When I'm driving down the road, all I want to hear is my cold air intake sucking in air, and my super 44 blearing....tires making noise, not for me.[8D]

Old 04-25-2008, 12:20 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My opinion is trucks that are lifted look silly with non agressive tires. If you want street tires imo they look the best on a stock truck.

BTW my BFG's don't ride that rough. Yours can't be that bad unless they are really chopped up or something. Mine might not ride like a car but they definately don't ride bad either. Not like a Super Swamper TSL or anything. I'm thinking my next tires may be a set of Toyo MT's or Super Swamper TSL Radials. I think the TSL's look the best but I think the Toyos will preform the best. I'm on my 3rd set of BFG's and kind of getting tired of them. Hopefully these will last me quite a while longer though.

Quick Reply: 35" tires - highway friendly tread