2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hockey pucks

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 09:13 PM
stumpdogg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hockey pucks

my father in law just bought a ram for parts that has hockey pucks for a body lift, how well does that work? it looks a little hookie to me but it would be cheap for a bdy lift

Old 04-25-2008, 10:08 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: hockey pucks

I've seen it before. My brother actually had a 3" hockey puck lift on his Ford for years with no problems. Very cheap.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:24 PM
jperkins812
Professional

Never used hockey pucks, but I had a 85 toyota pickup that I had to take the body lift out of and used inline skate wheels that I found at Walmart for about $10 on clearance. I had the truck for a year or so after that and I had no problems with them at all, and best of all they did not shift around like the body lift did.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:40 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a crappy setup that shouldnt' be on the street. If it was my truck I'd remove it right away and either put a proper body lift or just put it back to stock. IMO if you don't want to spend the money to do this stuff right then you shouldn't do it at all. This applies to most things but even more so on things that are safety concerns like this. Take that crappy setup off before he hurts himself and or someone else.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:24 AM
noodle
Professional

Actually, a buddy of mine bought a first gen Ram with a hockey puck lift. Not only did he drive the living snot out of that truck, but it looked great and held up fine. The only thing that makes it any different than an actual kit is a brand name. If it works, go for it, but keep an eye on it.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:35 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A hockey puck is actually the same rubber as a proper body lift (used to be anyway) as long as they used proper bolts I can't see a problem. Upside is if one ever cracks you can replace just 1 puck instead of the whole mount.

Personally I'm not a big fan of body lifts in any configuration. They are a cheap way to get some more clearance for big tires though.

This is a parts truck anyway, right?

Old 04-26-2008, 03:36 AM
CySlyde
Professional

as long as you dont stack em you should be fine... well that and you use the propper size bolt and dont drill the hole to big, and dont over tighten. but if done right I know people who have had em in for years with never a problem. however every time I heard someone stacked pucks they ended up with lots of issues.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:19 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A hockey puck is still made of vulcanized rubber and is just as safe as the brand name blocks you buy. Stacking is a bad idea though, as the vulcanizing process creates a very smooth surface, which is great for hockey but bad for shifting in a truck. The pucks will also resist chipping as well , when you drill then out try to make them just a hair smaller than the bolt, so the threads have a little something to bite into, this will reduce the sliding side to side.

One last thing. Buy official NHL pucks, not cheapos or the souvenir pucks as they don't always put them through a good vulcanizing process or any at all.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:20 PM
stumpdogg

ok I'm not saying I'd do this but I saw on a web page a guy that epoxied 3 pucks together after sanding the smooth faces, then mounted them in a peice of pvc pipe, if they have epoxy between them, they wont slide or would solid aluminium or steel stock be a better choice

Old 04-28-2008, 10:41 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just spend the little bit extra and buy a PA body lift. It's not expensive and a quality lift. Anymore than 3" body lift is just asking for an accident to happen anyway. Imo if you aren't going to do it right you have no business messing with a body lift.

Quick Reply: hockey pucks