2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LED tailgate bars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 10:38 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED tailgate bars?

Pretty bored of life right now with my truck sitting for about two weeks now, and just waiting on the parts to get here so I can start the rearend job. So just throwing some ideas around. What do you guys think of those LED brake light bars that go underneath the tailgate? Think they are a bit much? Just kind of thinking of some other stuff I can do to kind of spice the truck up a little more, but I'm not sure if it will look silly or not. Also have contemplated putting a bulb from an underglow kit under the hood, so at night it would be easy to see the entire engine bay if I ever needed to check something at night, just throwing it out there, what's your preferances?

Old 04-27-2008, 10:42 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: LED tailgate bars?

LMAO !!!!!!!!! A flashlight works for me..

Old 04-27-2008, 10:43 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

LMAO !!!!!!!!! A flashlight works for me..
LOL hey c'mon, I told you I was depressed. But who knows, could be neat. I'm not talking blue or red either. I'm talking white, and that's it[8D]

Old 04-27-2008, 10:53 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know some guys like those Line of Fire or whatever led bars that go under the tail gate to work with the brake lights but imo they are just ugly looking. I don't like them at all. No offense to anyone that has one. The only time I've seen a setup I liked okay with them was when they were put down the side of the truck and used for turn signals it looked okay. IMO some neon lights would look a ton better if you are going for something like that.

As for the neon under the hood not a bad idea. I think that might look pretty cool. I personally like neons.

How about a stereo? Do you have a aftermarket one? I have a complete system in my truck and love it. I have a Alpine motorized H/U, Polk components up front, Polk Coaxials in the rear, 2 12" Infinity subs, Profile amp power the subs, Alpine 70 watt x 4 rms amp to power all of the speakers all wired up with street wires except for the rear speakers. The rear speakers were wired up with Monster Cable. It's not the most bling thing unless you are in the truck but I really like it and it's one of those things you actually get to enjoy everytime your in your truck. IMO it's one of the best mods I've done.

Anyother thing to consider what about neon lights on the interior? Like under the seats and in the door panel pockets and stuff? That would look cool.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:53 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

Neon, man I wouldn't be thinking of anything other than your research. lol. And yeah, random LED's on a truck, not feeling it. Your truck is cosmetically fine the way it is.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:55 PM
noshavedave

I was also considering the light bar for my 96 1500, but look before you leap..not all trucks are created equal...My Dodge ram has a hole for the spare tire winch in the way ...If you cover it ..Your screwed if you get a flat ... Just some food for thought ...

Old 04-27-2008, 11:08 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I would like to do something for speaks sometime. I guess I never really have had much interest with spending money on speakers though. I've usually been more infatuated with exhaust and exterior looks, but as I'm nearing the end of things I could possibly do to the exterior, I'm sure I will work my way towards making the interior a cozier place to be in now that my speeding days are over with this truck. But, I've seen a couple trucks that pulled the LED bar off diesently, but they only look good on lifted trucks. I wouldn't want it to be lighten up all the time though, just for breaking or signaling. But again just kind of thinking out loud here, it's been an incredibly long two weeks without the ram lol. I think it'd be kind of neat to have the white neon lights under the hood though. My truck didn't come with a hood light, so if for ever reason the truck broke down on the side of the road or I needed to check something at night, it'd be incredibly easy to navigate the engine bay. White would look nice, almost like a florescent bulb. I remember with that silly stupid neon I had, I had a white underglow kit lol. It was extra poptart central, but it was funny. Nobody here in Maine even has that, I was the ONLY loser with one. It was always fun turning all the lights off at night and just leaving the underglow kit on. All you would hear is this loud car coming down the road and then flying by looking like it was a floating cloud lol

Old 04-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Sinister
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

under the hood use foglights, they light up your workspace enough if youre rever forced to fix something on the side of the road at 2am.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:14 AM
timbojb

The led tailgate thing looks gay.... and neon doesn't belong on a truck, imo

Old 04-28-2008, 10:32 AM
dusty_duster
Veteran

ORIGINAL: noshavedave

I was also considering the light bar for my 96 1500, but look before you leap..not all trucks are created equal...My Dodge ram has a hole for the spare tire winch in the way ...If you cover it ..Your screwed if you get a flat ... Just some food for thought ...
No, you're not screwed. I've got the Line of Fire LED bar on my truck. If you buy the one specifically for the Dodge Ram (it's a different part number), it is removable with a phillips-head screwdriver so you can get to the spare tire release.

I kind of like the Line of Fire lights, personally.

Quick Reply: LED tailgate bars?