2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Blend Door Actuator Coupler Question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:52 PM
krajesj52
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blend Door Actuator Coupler Question?

Hello,
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500, 3.9L V6. When I change the heater/cooling temperature ****, I get acreaking/groaning sound.
I traced the noise to the Blend Door Actuator motor/coupler area. It seems that whenthe actuator motor spins it's not getting the signal(?) to turn off, so it keeps spinning. The noise appears to come fromperhaps a splined shaft,a geared shaft, or a coupler at the end of theactuator. Since the shaft continues to spin, something that sounds like gears strippingis making the noise. My questions are as follows:
1. What makes the actuator stop when the blend doorgets to the desired location as requested by the temperature control ****?
2. Is the coupler collar on the actuator shaft supposed to have a crack in it allowing the collar to slip if it ever binds up?
3. The repair manual suggests that I take the dash apart to get to theheater box/actuator. Has anyone been able to remove/change the actuator without taking the dash apart (I've done it for our '94 Intrepid. I don't ever want to do it again for another vehicle if I don't have to.)?
4. Can I buy the actuator/coupler from anyone else besides the dealership?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:17 AM
krajesj52
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Blend Door Actuator Coupler Question?

Got some answers so far:
Q1: What makes the actuator stop when the blend doorgets to the desired location as requested by the temperature control ****?
A1: I DID notice that if the temp. control is set hotter than 9:00 position, or colder than the 3:00 position, the actuator motor continues to turn. I'm not sure why. Perhaps someone can still tell me what stops the motor from turning when full hot or full cold?

Q2: Is the coupler collar on the actuator shaft supposed to have a crack in it allowing the collar to slip if it ever binds up?
A2: NO! the "black plastic coupler" (so called in the service manual) should be one piece. Mine has about a 1/3 chunk cracked off.

Q3: The repair manual suggests that I take the dash apart to get to theheater box/actuator. Has anyone been able to remove/change the actuator without taking the dash apart (I've done it for our '94 Intrepid. I don't ever want to do it again for another vehicle if I don't have to.)?
A3: Someone in another thread suggested cutting a flap out of the foam/rubber matting under the actuator for access to the rear screw. This was a great suggestion. Now no one has to pull the whole dash apart to drop the blend door actuator motor.

Q4: Can I buy the actuator/coupler from anyone else besides the dealership
A4: My local Dodge dealership lists the coupler as part number 5012923AB @ $10.60 +tax. I haven't verified this number yet.

Lastly, the coupler broke in a nice clean line. Iwas able to glue it together with J.B. Weld. It's been holding together since yesterday afternoon.

Still wondering why the actuator spins when the blend control is at either stop position. Any ideas out there?

Quick Reply: Blend Door Actuator Coupler Question?