2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Drive your ratwagon im keeping my truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:02 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Drive your ratwagon im keeping my truck

As far as free fuel or making your own fuel, be careful. I know that when the farmers out here used to try to use chicken crap for fuel, which works I guess, they got in major trouble. Not because it damaged their vehicles... the Feds figured it out and fined them big time. Something to do with the fact that you have to pay taxes on fuel, and by making your own, you aren't.

I don't care what you do, but just warning you guys to watch out for big brother.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: jason.w

As far as free fuel or making your own fuel, be careful. I know that when the farmers out here used to try to use chicken crap for fuel, which works I guess, they got in major trouble. Not because it damaged their vehicles... the Feds figured it out and fined them big time. Something to do with the fact that you have to pay taxes on fuel, and by making your own, you aren't.

I don't care what you do, but just warning you guys to watch out for big brother.
That doesn't make sense. How can you be required to pay tax on a fuel that's not being taxed nor marketed?

Old 05-01-2008, 11:51 AM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, that was quite the read.

All I can say is, I've finally found a little car I can enjoy driving and gets good MPG's. I just picked up a 96 VW Golf with a manual. I'll be happy with that for now. And it will keep the miles off the truck, even though they are high as it is. But It'll save me a lot of money that I'm short on as of late because of the gas prices.

This is a good topic.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:01 PM
DuranguenzeRam
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just 2cents i purchased a used 4runner $500 bux from my dad thing was barely driven, it paid itself off in 2 months ive driven it, insurance 220.00 i save that just on gas vs the ram and besides save miles on the ram and keep it in good condition, as i work for an insurance company i do know full coverage cars are expensive to factor in a long with a car payment. im currently getting about 20mpg in city with 4runner vs 10 with the ram. Made no sense not to get it since they were gonna sell it for $2500

Old 05-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: CSCustomCars

Well, that was quite the read.

All I can say is, I've finally found a little car I can enjoy driving and gets good MPG's. I just picked up a 96 VW Golf with a manual. I'll be happy with that for now. And it will keep the miles off the truck, even though they are high as it is. But It'll save me a lot of money that I'm short on as of late because of the gas prices.

This is a good topic.
That ought to be a good little gas sipper. Do you know what kind of MPG it gets?

FYI, here are a couple of good websites to look up the original EPA fuel economy ratings for just about any car:
http://fueleconomy.weblite-dns.com/i...;-table=models
http://www.somalinet.com/library/cars/

And for those looking to buy an older used car, here is a pretty good website to read reviews, stats, and other good info about your potential purchase. I also recommend doing a Carfax lookup.
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...car-search.htm

Old 05-01-2008, 03:13 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: VWandDodge

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

For me its a no brainer. A second car is a must. Im really digging the tdi cars.
You can't beat an older VW diesel. If you're creative, you can go the veggie oil conversion and haul waste grease home using the Dodge, cook your mix, and have free fuel for the diesel.
already spendin 5-8k on the car, dont have a want to spend another 2k for a conversion kit. Mostly I could care less to put the work into making my gas. At that point buying gas would be the same as purchasing something like a lawn service. Have someone else do it so I dont have to.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:06 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

I agree that this is the worst it's ever been, but this whole dialogue is deja-vous avec internet (Vinny, add the f--cking french to the list). Gas goes high versus other economic indicators, people panic, and then buy piece o' chit cars. The demand for said cars pulls the whole automobile manufacturing industry into a slump, eventually oil prices decline, and we are left bailing the car makers out of hock. This has all happened before. It will last through 2009 and gradually get better. The one thing that I hope everyone takes with them on the other side of the crisis is that it takes time to find, recover, and develop the infrasructure to refine oil. There is plenty out there, but next time we need to act rather than letting the "tree huggers" have thier way.

The decisions that our country has made in the past has sealed our fate for the present. The only thing we can do now is wait for the next go'round.

Oh, and f--ck Al Gore too Vinny.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:41 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

Where's HankL? I bet he'll have an opinion on this topic that will be interesting to hear.
You know, Hank hasn't posted in almost a month, I'm getting worried about him. He's pretty prolific at multiple Mopar based forums, at least most of the ones I've perused looking for info. As long as he's been here and as much great info as he's dropped, I don't know a dang thing about him personnally. He spends a heck of a lot of time reading and posting about Mopar stuff, I figured he's probably a retired mech or engineer.

I know this sounds morbid and I don't mean to speak ill here, but he could be some single older dude with no family that had a heart attack and be slumped over dead somewhere and nobody'd know.

Damn, I wonder how many forum members have just winked out like that?

That's getting a little heavy. Hank, if you're out there, post up buddy and just let us know you're ok.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:00 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

As Hank's main passion (post wise anyway) is fuel economy, and when you take into consideration that he is very well read on the subject (job), It could be thatHankis very highly demanded in the real world right now.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:15 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

That ought to be a good little gas sipper. Do you know what kind of MPG it gets?

FYI, here are a couple of good websites to look up the original EPA fuel economy ratings for just about any car:
http://fueleconomy.weblite-dns.com/i...;-table=models
http://www.somalinet.com/library/cars/

And for those looking to buy an older used car, here is a pretty good website to read reviews, stats, and other good info about your potential purchase. I also recommend doing a Carfax lookup.
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...car-search.htm
Well, for the MPG's it says about 28-32. The guy I'm buying it from says he gets about 35 or so combined mileage.

I'm gonna use it for MPG's but also something to have fun in. I like having 4 cyl's cause I like taking turns fast. I used to do some AutoX in my old sunfire. I loved it.
Don't get me wrong, I love my dodge, but having something small, light and fast is nice to have.

I can't wait until I cna go to DMV next week. I'll finally be able to save some cash.

Quick Reply: Drive your ratwagon im keeping my truck