2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

propane conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bantamboxer
Well I love threads like this where it seems everyone has a say haha. My 02 Ram runs on propane and I absolutely love it! It actually has more power because nowadays the kits plug right into your ecu and the installer sets the output. That and the fact it way higher octane. I only lost about 1 mpg but the cost and power difference is worth it. It can run off gas still as well, and switching on the fly is easy as pushing a button, and you cant even feel a stall when it does. Now I have over a 1000 mile range between propane and gas. It's cheap where I live at around $2.10 a gallon. It's much cheaper than BBQ propane because if you go to a propane sales location it's cheaper in bigger quantities. Also the government right now is offering $2500 tax refund on people who convert. I figure I am saving about 300-400 dollars a month. As far as safety I think all the crappy gas tanks made out of weird plastics on vehicles these days are more dangerous. The company who makes these kits have shot 30-06s at tanks with no piercing or adverse effects whatsoever to prove a point lol.
Nice piece of spam, plus the $2,500 Government subsidy - err, tax refund, may not still be in force.

And your comments on plastic gas tanks are complete BS. That technology evolved from track racing. They are actually safer and stronger than steel tanks.

Anyway, nice fluff piece of a post.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:57 PM
TwistedCage
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
around my area gas just went down to $1.99. i think i'll pay that. I never thought id live to see gas under $2.00 again!

Dude you are lucky as hell gas is 3.47 at the cheapest here if polk county florida. most is 3.59 a gallon.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:26 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
If you don't mind it exploding on you when its bounced around the wrong way one day, sure, why not.
When my parents' garage burned in 1990 an ancient LPG tank from a never-completed conversion was leaning against the garage exterior wall. I pointed it out to a fireman who told me, "Nothing to worry about as long as the valve is closed. Those things just don't fail in structure fires."

I was skeptical, but when the wall collapsed the tank fell into the fire with some burning roof on top of it, and when it was all over the tank was intact and still 1/4 full. I don't know how old the tank was, but it was used when the old man picked it up in the mid-70's.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:06 PM
garam
Professional

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
When my parents' garage burned in 1990 an ancient LPG tank from a never-completed conversion was leaning against the garage exterior wall. I pointed it out to a fireman who told me, "Nothing to worry about as long as the valve is closed. Those things just don't fail in structure fires."

I was skeptical, but when the wall collapsed the tank fell into the fire with some burning roof on top of it, and when it was all over the tank was intact and still 1/4 full. I don't know how old the tank was, but it was used when the old man picked it up in the mid-70's.
I think they just got lucky on that one. They can and do BLEVE if the conditions are right.

As for the propane fuel... I remember some of the Ford trucks the Army had in the 90's had them. I don't know what size the tanks were on them but the Propane didn't last as long as the gas did.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:15 PM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by TwistedCage
Dude you are lucky as hell gas is 3.47 at the cheapest here if polk county florida. most is 3.59 a gallon.
Lol....you obviously didn't check the date of the post you quoted. It was posted in November of 2008.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:40 PM
sprntpshr
Professional
Default Lng/ngv

I have drove both propane and natural gas fueled vehicles for years. No problems worse than any gasoline fuel vehicle leaking a pool of gasoline all over the driveway waiting for a lit cigarette to be flipped into it.
Because the gas prices here are stupid high I am looking at putting my new to me 2001 Ram 1500 on propane.
Last time I checked up here in Canada most tax rebates had been abandon. Now that was about the time that this thread started...

VWandDodge: Being a Canuck and the furry rodent The Beaver is our national animal, I really like your new sig here and @ GJ.. Moose Knuckle anyone?

Last edited by sprntpshr; 05-30-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:59 AM
Novarider
Captain

Gasoline won't light from a cigarette.

Quick Reply: propane conversion