2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Glasspacks??? or Flowmaster??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:43 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Glasspacks??? or Flowmaster??

honestly though, the flowmaster is a much better muffler for the magnum, I always felt like the magnaflows were better with the vortecs. But it does sound fair, best sound for a magnum comes from a flowmaster though, but if your going for pure volume, then sure, go ahead with the glasspack

Old 05-01-2008, 08:57 PM
WD OPN Throttle
Rookie

Glasspacks take a little bit of power off the high end and give you a lot of cabin noise.
+1 for flowmasters

Old 05-02-2008, 06:27 AM
berk3066

not claiming to be an expert but....i would stay clear of both....i went with a magna flow myself....according to the half dozen shops that i talked to, none of them liked flowmaster, (and i thought flowmaster was the standard). they all claim that flowmasters are not put together as well as some of the other brands out there and have a tendancy to sound a bit raspy for that reason....it was the DEEEEP throne sound that i was wanting....my magna-flo sitting next to my buddies flowmaster....really made me feel easier about my decision....we both have a second generation ram with the same 318....good luck which ever route you take

Old 05-02-2008, 11:20 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Flowmaster a lot as imo they sound the best but they don't seem to be the best if you are going for performance. Maybe check into Magnaflow for that idk whats best if you are looking for the most power. Magnaflow also has stainless steel ones I think that won't rot out like the Flowmasters. That being said nothing can compare to the sound of the Flowmaster imo. It's the way to go. I replaced mine with another one when I had my exhaust redone as it sounds soo good.

The one thing I'd do differently is like I said on PS I'd run the exhaust straight out the back instead of out the sides. Out the sides if you have tips on them just get dirty way too easily and torn up from rock chips and what not. I mean it seems like I have to wash them about everytime I go down a dirt road or if I drive in the rain otherwise the look like crap from the tires throwing dirt and stuff all over them. I'd probably go straight out the back if I did it again.
If you do a burnout expect rubber all of them too.

01DodgeRam360 has experience the same thing I have so maybe he will chime in with his opinion.

I do think out the sides looks best but it's just too darn hard to keep looking good.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:33 AM
berk3066

for me, i went with durability....from what i have been told flowmasters are spot welded along there seams, where as some of the others such as magnaflow are welded solid (the full length of there seams)....im a bit rough and tough on my toys and need all the extra strength i can get....lol...my toys may not be the prettiest pig in the pen, but i do enjoy them so.....also from what i have come to learn its the fancy exhaust tips that have an important part in the tone you get....bigger the tips the deeper and richer the sound....much like a megaphone.....but hey its all about personal preferance huh....have a great day everyone and always remember....if you cant "Dodge It!!!"...."Ram It!!!".....lol

Old 05-02-2008, 02:04 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I think you should go with what your most interested in. All of us went out on a limb when we selected our mufflers. When I had the chance to do my exhaust, I had a ton of mufflers to choose from. I didn't know if I wanted magnaflow, gibson, flowmaster, or the cherry bomb extreme. But after weeks of thinking, I knew my truck wanted to be a flowmaster truck. And I didn't just want to go with what everyone has, so I took a chance on their newest, most free flowing muffler, and went with the Super 44. I was stunned how loud it was. It is one of the loudest systems I know of, and it goes out the rear (not dumped or anything). But I don't want to sit here and say OH YEAH MAN SUPER 44. All of us are going to be bias because we stand by our decision we made. So go with what you think you want. If you don't like it, keep trying. My brother has changed his mufflers out 4 times. First was a Flowmaster 40. Then the Flowmaster Super 44s. Then Dynomax Bullets. And then just last week, he bought two cherry bomb extreme mufflers for his true dual system. He also plans to have the cats gutted too, I think it will sound great. If it sounds good, I might go with that for my next muffler. All I know is that when I do my next exhaust, I won't pick the same muffler, I love change.

If you want to get an idea of what the super 44 sounds like on a 360, here's my youtube account: 01DodgeRam360

Old 05-02-2008, 08:27 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a glass pack Y system on my truck, it sounds good, nice and deep rumble. A friend has the exact same truck as mine only with a flowmaster (not sure which one) and it sounds better yet. I'd go with the flowmaster.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:13 AM
94Ramsey
Professional

i have a glasspack on mine currently and i have to say it sounds ok but not loud enough. i would personally get a super 44. not because im trying to copy everyone i just like the way it sounds at idle and shifting. now if you want to wake up the whole town in 5mins or less get a series 10 flowmaster. i think 99% of this board runs them. flowmasters that is.

Quick Reply: Glasspacks??? or Flowmaster??