2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Slave Cylinder keeps going out

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 12:14 AM
mjake8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slave Cylinder keeps going out

I have a 98 Ram 2500 4x4 5 speed and the slave cylinder keeps going out. The thing went out on me three times with-in a year and then clutch finally gave. I replaced the clutch, flywheel, throw-out brg, and put on a new slave cylinder at that time. It lasted about 9 months and then went our again. I know that there is no adjustment on the cylinder, and it has been bench bleed each time. I was wondering if the clutch arm could have some how gotten causing the pin to push out to far and cause the failure. I would really like to fix this problem before it causes another clutch to go out.

Thanks
-mjake8

Old 05-01-2008, 07:22 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Slave Cylinder keeps going out

that's an awful lot of failures on the same part...
were they new or rebuilds.
rebuilds to spec, or just shade tree hone and go..

i'm just wondering if the master cyl and/or hard line is super-rusty, pushing grit down into the slave and eating the seal. i don't know, just a thought. even if clutch arm was bent or something, it really shouldn't matter to the slave cyl how far it travels. all it does it move back and forth under pressure. pressure is held by the rubber seals.

if you bleed the slave, is the fluid clean or dirty ?

Old 05-01-2008, 01:03 PM
mjake8

Two of them were purchased new from dodge and the rest came from the local NAPA. All of the kits that I installed came with the slave and master cylinder together connected with a single plastic line. I have heard that you can buy them separate now, but I’m not sure how well that would work. Each time that they fail the fluid is always clean and full.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:49 PM
mjake8

Quick Reply: Slave Cylinder keeps going out