2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Suicide doors

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Ram_King
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suicide doors

my suicide doors somehow are ither broken or they are stuck not sure bottom unlatches but top stays locked and idead what it would be maybe an easy fix? or cheap even

Old 05-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Dontdodgeitramit
Professional
Default RE: Suicide doors

If I am not mistaken I think they work like the tailgate. Theres cables that go to the top an bottom latches. Pop out the latch an check the cable. If its not that remove the plastic off the inner door and check your top latch. I dont have the doors but have the back seat. Shouldn't be to hard to fix. There a rather simple design.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Dedmeat1

My left door was giving me trouble opening, like the latch was stuck. Ended up taking the inside of the door off to get to the mechanism.Like dont said it's like a tailgate latch. With mine everything was working it just wouldn't unlatch at the bottom. Ended up having to hold the latch while forcing the door open then taking the bottom latch apart and cleaning the rust out of it then putting it back together with plenty of lube. Only bad thing, I ended up breaking one of the three screws in the latch so it doesn't seem to shut tight now. I'm going to have to drill and retap the broken screw.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Gene563
Rookie

I drive an E250 work van and I had the same problem with the side doors. Looking in at the latch, I was able to see that one of the cables had come off. I was lucky enough to find the clip in the bottom of the door and simply re-installed the cable.
Hopefully you might have a similar situation.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Trey318
Captain

Happened to my truck with the previous owner. A piece of the cable broke off for the inner handle and kept it from opening properly. I'm just gonna reattach the piece. If you don't feel like doing that, I think the cable is somewhere around 20 dollars.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:44 PM
offroadzj

i had the same thing happen as trey. The cable was right around the $20 mark and very easy to replace.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:45 PM
offroadzj

i had the same thing happen as trey. The cable was right around the $20 mark and very easy to replace.

Quick Reply: Suicide doors