2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ouch...going to be an expensive repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 06:07 PM
jagxtype
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ouch...going to be an expensive repair

Ok...heres the long story (cliff notes at end)

Well started driving the truck in the morning to college. Once in a while when i would stop the torque converter would lock up and attempt to stall the motor. I would just punch the gas once and it would unlock. Didnt think too much about it since its been acting weird. Well got to school fine but came out and started to head home. Was going about 40MPH and let off the gas and all of a sudden it was as if i had slammed on the brakes. Well it did it a few more times and then i started to shift into nuetral when i let off. I finally turned the OD off after being sure that it was the OD locking. It stopped the problem. Well i decided to turn it back on later at a much lower speed and all i heard was grinding. Didnt slow down again but was almost as if it were in nuetral and grinding so i stopped that right away. Well i figure it would be fine to drive home without the overdrive so i did so. After about 10-15 miles the torque converter started to lock up at really low speeds. I figured it was overheating, but there was no engine light, so i thought it might just be the torque converter. Well, i figure since OD was gone (expensive gear damage i am sure) i decided to head it on home and spare myself a towing bill that would have been outrageous for the distant it had to go. Got it home and could literally smell the fluid a boilin haha. Took the trans dip stick out and it was smoking pretty good. Well i feel my aftermarket cooler and it is ice cube cold. Figured the filter was clogged again, so went about changing it today and there was a lot of metallic material in the fluid and pan. Well i was sure it had given up the ghost, but i went ahead and gave it a try again. I adjusted thebands.Went to test drive it and it seemed like it was going to shift alright (it didnt before all this anyhow) and then when it came time for overdrive it acted as if i had turned it off. Well i decide i might as well have a little fun and gave a few burnouts and ran it through 1st and second but in second it held it too long and i let out since it hit the rev limiter. Went home and let it sit a while and then decided to go get a load of mulch since its not very far away and it had nothing but first and second gear.

Cliff notes:
Trans locked up in OD...grinded and acted like in nuetral later
Drove it home with OD off
TQ was locking at low speeds
Got home. smoking through dipstick. guesing got way to hot...cooler was still cold. No circulation?
Changed filter...lots of metallic residue...very dark fluid with lots of metallic. No large pieces
Adjusted bands to specifications
Test drove and no OD.
Holding second WAY to long...rev limiter
Later drove and only 1-2gears worked.

At this point i am guessing that this has hard gear damage and is going to cost a fortune to rebuild???? Any ideas anyone?

Old 05-04-2008, 06:59 PM
1996Ram318
All Star
Default RE: Ouch...going to be an expensive repair

I speak from experience, $2472.83.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:17 PM
jagxtype
Professional

So a reman might be the way to go? Just trade mine in for core?

Old 05-04-2008, 08:12 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or if you got a shop that you can trust to rebuild it , here is a pic of mine , speaking of experience ...overdrive gear alone is 175.00 bucks , torque converter 150-175.00 bucks , shift kit 125.00 bucks , so far with seals and what not got over 500 into it..

[IMG]local://upfiles/40785/BEF83DE3D49241F0B8E593F69180382C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/40785/B7EDCCD1677B4F75895EFF1C46E4524C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-04-2008, 08:36 PM
jagxtype
Professional

well the only transmission shop that i would trust said they would rebuild it for $900 if i took it out and brought it in. This was before the overdrive went out. I can imagine it could be up to 1500 with parts and labor added for the overdrive. I might just go to the junkyard and grab one from a wrecked truck. I hear these trans are really year specific though and that you have to have the computer reflashed. Also, PADODGERAM, Is installing a shift kit a night and day difference. I always just adjusted mine electronically in my last vehichle and it would go from soft to tire burning shifts at WOT and PT.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:45 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

Get back to you on it , the trans is built but still not installed , call me lazy , gas price , nice weather motorcycle ridding.. ill get back to you on that , i went with a transgo shift kit HD2 , deep trans pan that was 190.00 bucks .. does not take long to get some cash into it..

Old 05-04-2008, 10:49 PM
jagxtype
Professional

alright....sounds good man. I might fix and sell with gas prices. I found a new toy and i am hoping to trade the truck and my car in on it. WOO HOO Its going to be hard driving this truck again after driving the Jaguar today...what a difference haha.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:38 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

If you are planning to sell it I'd probably go get one from the junkyard and put it in and hope it works. If you want to keep it imo APS or Dr. Evil are the only way to go.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:29 AM
jagxtype
Professional

i have thought of the junkyard trans solution...it just needs to run well enough for a stealership to take it haha...i am going to look at this new toy very soon....might even end up keeping the truck and trading off the jaguar... I dont know though...i change my mind every 2 days haha

Quick Reply: Ouch...going to be an expensive repair