2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dynomax Super Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008 | 08:41 PM
matt7591
|
Default Dynomax Super Turbo

Hi, tried searching on this but most of the posts were related to other straight through mufflers.

I have a Dodge 1500 Club Cab with 5.9 that I use for towing a 5000 lb trailer. About 68k miles. I want the best possible power from this beast, especially up hills, etc.

I've always had the suspicion that my Dodge couldn't breathe! I figured it's Kalifornia smog equipment. I was going to buy one of those fleabay CAI jobs, but now I'm starting by adding the 14" filter based on the "FIPK no more" thread.

So it will be breathing better in the intake but if it is still constipated in the back then it won't do any good. I am not a lead foot but I do push my truck for towing. Typically 2600 rpm, up to 4000 on big hills. I don't necessarily want loud, but a nice rumble would be fun. Most concerned about the truck not being overly congested.

I was reading a 4x4 mag and it said the Dynomax Super Turbo is a good, quiet exhaust with good flow. It said that I really don't need to change the cat, just the muffler. What do you think? Also, is this a good combination? My truck has the side exit. Would it be better to go straight out the back?

Bear in mind I don't want to eliminate back pressure entirely as I need that torque.

More mileage would be great but main expectation is max power/torque for my truck's engine, and no reduction in mpg!

Thanks for suggestions.

Matt

Old 05-04-2008 | 08:47 PM
THEGOLDPRO
Captain
Default RE: Dynomax Super Turbo

if i was to put an exhaust on my truck i would look into gibson, they arent as stupid loud as all the dynomax/flow master crap out there, but are designed to give the best power for towing.check here
http://www.gibsonperformance.com/pro...;model=316#316

Old 05-04-2008 | 08:51 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I agree, I think Gibson would be a good option for you. Flowmaster does offer quiet mufflers, but besides the Super 44, the other ones are not considered "flowing". I don't know much about magnaflow, so I can't comment there. But I know gibson and edelbrock offer mufflers that have a nice tone but aren't going to wake your neighbors up or take the cab over. So maybe give those guys a call up Monday and see what they have to say as well.

Old 05-04-2008 | 08:52 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator

Welcome to DF!

ORIGINAL: matt7591

I've always had the suspicion that my Dodge couldn't breathe! I figured it's Kalifornia smog equipment. I was going to buy one of those fleabay CAI jobs, but now I'm starting by adding the 14" filter based on the "FIPK no more" thread.
Good deal.

I was reading a 4x4 mag and it said the Dynomax Super Turbo is a good, quiet exhaust with good flow. It said that I really don't need to change the cat, just the muffler. What do you think? Also, is this a good combination? My truck has the side exit. Would it be better to go straight out the back?
The stock muffler AND cat are both major bottle-necks. Replacing a converter can get expensive, but its usually worth it in the long run. Usually people who pull trailers don't want straight-out-the-back exists for their exhaust, as it then hits the trailer head on as it comes out the pipes.

Bear in mind I don't want to eliminate back pressure entirely as I need that torque.
The only way you could eliminate your back pressure severely is if you changed your entire exhaust system, pipe size and all. If all you do is change your muffler, and even your catalytic converter, you will still have torque. Plenty more, actually.

My two cents.

Old 05-04-2008 | 08:54 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Hey Jason, I don't think I've had a chance to hear your exhaust yet. Do you have any videos of it yet? If you don't, you should make some, I want to hear how your Super 44 sounds.

Old 05-04-2008 | 08:59 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator

No tip, so it won't sound as loud as yours, if thats what you're getting at.

Old 05-04-2008 | 09:12 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

LOL no I wasn't after that. I just want to hear how your truck sounds. Your one of the few guys on this forum that runs the super 44 muffler. Don't you just love the crackle it has? Very unique to my ears. Make some videos though, I want to hear her.

Quick Reply: Dynomax Super Turbo