2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anyone Tried these HID kits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Viper37
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone Tried these HID kits?

ORIGINAL: CSCustomCars

Then what's the point of putting in HID's?

Go get some Xenon knock offs then.

Perhaps you are missing the point here.

HID's in stock Ram housings are MUCH better than Halogens, but not so bright that they attract attention. Meaning, they dont look like a HID retrofit.

Get it?

Get off your stool.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:12 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

Nice what kind of shotgun are you getting? I like guns too but already have quite a few. While I wouldn't mind getting a few new ones to add to my collection I think the HID kit is more likely right now to come first.
We Americans can never have enough guns, can we? I was going to just purchase a shotgun for myself and my wife, then we ended up getting a .40 S&W, Sigma SW40GVE, for home defense and target practice first.

I was just going to grab a Remmington 870 Express or a Mossberg 835, but I've heard that people have a lot of problems with both as they are the cheaper guns. I can't decide if I should get a Wingmaster or Benelli Nova now. Of course, if I get one of those, I only have enough $$$ for one instead of one for me and one for the wife. Just going to have to see how they feel in my hands later today/tomorrow I guess.

Nope I don't qualify for one. However 8k or so just got spent on my truck not long ago, about 7-800 on the dirtbike last month and I've spent quite a bit these past two months on other toys. I just am starting to think I'm wasting too much money on toys so thats whats holding me back. I'm very tempted to go ahead and order that HID kit but I really can't decide. I'm super close to getting one though.
If you do order it, let me know how it does. I am eyeing it (along with half a dozen other things) for a future buy.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:36 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jason.w
We Americans can never have enough guns, can we? I was going to just purchase a shotgun for myself and my wife, then we ended up getting a .40 S&W, Sigma SW40GVE, for home defense and target practice first.

I was just going to grab a Remmington 870 Express or a Mossberg 835, but I've heard that people have a lot of problems with both as they are the cheaper guns. I can't decide if I should get a Wingmaster or Benelli Nova now. Of course, if I get one of those, I only have enough $$$ for one instead of one for me and one for the wife. Just going to have to see how they feel in my hands later today/tomorrow I guess.
I have a Remington 870 Express Super Magnum or whatever the one that shoots 3 and 1/2" shells is. I'm going to be honest I don't like that gun at all. The reason I got it is I had several guys I hunt with and several online all recommend it to me. Even the owner of the local gun shop said that he recommended them. I ended up getting one and just do not like it at all. I've yet to kill a deer with it and shot at quite a few. I've only actually knocked 1 down with it and it still got away. It to me doesn't seem to have the power it should but maybe thats the shells I'm shooting or just that I'm shooting too far away not sure.

Anyway mine has nothing but problems with 2 3/4" shells. It seems to want to hang up to where you can't move the pump unless you put the gun against a tree or the ground and use some serious force to move the pump then it will work. Seems to mainly do this after about 3 shots or so. Not consistant but happens pretty often. I had others shoot it along with the gun shop I bought it from look at it. They took it apart and cleaned it and said it did fine after that for them. I don't know that I've messed with it with 2 3/4" shells since then so I can't say if it works better. Then with 3 1/2" it seems to jam more than it should. Not super often but way more than it should. I mean the shell once this year didn't eject out I had to pull it out so when I was hunting it wasn't a good thing. Then last year I had it try to send 2 shells into the chamber at once. Just things like that which seem to be random not consistant problems but they happen way more often than I think the should. Then I had a shell blow up in the chamber and fire came out the side. I felt that on my hand. The brass part of the shell was exploded inside the gun. We had to clean that out. Luckily none of it came out of the gun as I'm sure it would have cut my hand pretty bad if it had or maybe even taken a finger off. The wad also was stuck in the barrel. After that I've just really disliked it. I had several people tell me they think it was the shell that did that instead of the gun. I've switched brands of shells and seem to have better luck but it still seems to randomly jam more than it should.

What I find odd is almost everyone else with one seems to recommend them to me. I just don't get it unless maybe I just got a bad one or maybe all of them are like this? My buddies Remington 11-87 seems to jam a fair amount too although it is a semi auto. I thought by getting a pump I would avoid all the jamming issues but apparently not. His seems to randomly jam too so maybe they all do this. The only other shutgun I have isn't a pump.

I've had a few people really into guns tell me after me telling them my problems that if I wanted a good gun I should buy the 870 and then I had to go ahead and tell them I already had one and didn't like it. Most seem to really recommend them so maybe you will have better luck than I did. I'm not sure half my problem wasn't Remington shells. I've come to not like them as much as Winchester or Federal shells. Overall I'm just not that happy with this gun although I'm more of a rifle person. I like my rifle much better in most cases.

Basically I only use mine for hunting and the ocasional target practice. I think if I was to do it again I'd get the Benelli Super Black Eagle II. Thats what I seriously thought about trading this gun in on. I just didn't want to deal with that shop again. If they had given me cash instead of trade in on my gun I would have probably taken it and gotten something else but I didn't want my new gun to come from there. I've had quite a few people try to buy it even after me telling them the problems like it doesn't bother them it's just no one wants to offer what they offered me on trade in. I was taking about a $90 loss from what I paid new. I would have probably done that but I'm not taking $150 for this gun like most people want to offer. I think I will just keep it in my collection and maybe get something else later on down the road. I bought a couple guns last year but no shotguns.

Guns just happen to be another hobby of mine.

I've heard good things about the Mossberg 835 too but never had any personal experience with it. Most guys seem to want to recommend the 870 so maybe you will have better luck than me I just didn't like mine. Maybe I got a bad one or some bad ammo who knows.

I think my next shotgun may be a semi auto as I like them much better than pumps anyway.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:41 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

As for the HID that guy on eBay says the Eurodezigns has a lifetime warranty but after looking their website it looked like they said the HID kits have a 1 year warranty. I gave them a call to ask how long it was and they told me over the phone 1 year warranty too but if I have trouble later on I can get extra parts. I'm not sure where he came up with the lifetime warranty but I'd be wearry of it. Looks like according to them only their halogen bulbs have lifetime warrantys and the HID kits have a 1 year warranty. Since that is the case I think I would rather save the $100 and go with the HID King one or whatever. I would like a lifetime warranty but not paying that price for a kit with a 1 year warranty still.

If you guys buy one advertised as a lifetime warranty you might want to double check and make sure it really is as Eurodezigns says they offer a 1 year warranty. Not sure what I will do now. I was pretty set on buying that until I found out about the warranty.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:50 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

I have a Mossberg m590a1 that works and shoots like a dream. I got it cheap at a gun show.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:06 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: mopowar

I have a Mossberg m590a1 that works and shoots like a dream. I got it cheap at a gun show.
Thanks for the input. I may need to reconsider them.

Good call, hometheaterman, on the EuroDezigns 1-year/lifetime thing. I missed that inconsistency, obviously, sorry about that. Definitely don't buy from that guy.

But whatever kit you go with (if any), again, please let us know how it works out. I'd definitely find the best seller and try his first, and definitely in 6000k or 8500k color, or somewhere inbetween. Any more than that and you sacrifice a lot of lumens, any less and it looks really yellow (and only slightly brighter, not worth it IMO).

Old 05-08-2008, 05:17 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Yeah I'm thinking if I go with one I want a 8000k kit but not 100% sure yet. I've heard 4300 is the brightest and what most of the cars come with from the factory. So not sure if I want as high as 8000k. I don't want to lose a ton of light output but want a good color too.

I'm still not sure what I want to do. The only car I've really been in much with HID's is my uncle has a Prius that has them and I just wasn't impressed at all. They were better than my truck but then again my truck is soo much higher up it's hard to judge. They didn't seem much better than the lights in our 06 Accord. It lit up the sides of the road slightly more but honestly they didn't seem that much brighter to me and he had fog lights too where as the Accord doesn't have HID's or Fog lights. It kind of at the time made me reconsider getting them and was one of the reasons I don't have them yet. I've really started wanting them again and guess I'm hoping they will be a lot better than in his car but I have a feeling they will be worse since the headlights aren't properly setup for them. I can't decide if I should get a set and take a huge chance of being highly dissapointed or just keep what I have now.

There are a few other things I want for my truck before I have it exactly like I want although it's close now. HID's are one of them but there are 2 others in that price range or not much more too.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:25 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

I found a guy with good reviews selling kits on a Honda set I visit. I sent hom some ?s. It's a good chance I will be ordering these. Now I just want to know if I should go with 6k or 8k bulbs. I want them like a crystal blue but not really a dark blue.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:17 AM
Viper37
Banned

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

I found a guy with good reviews selling kits on a Honda set I visit. I sent hom some ?s. It's a good chance I will be ordering these. Now I just want to know if I should go with 6k or 8k bulbs. I want them like a crystal blue but not really a dark blue.
What site, also, what guy?
I did a little more research on the site I previously posted (http://xenoneyes.com/index.php) and found some bad things about them. Not only do they apparantly have shady business practices, the product has serious grounding issues.

I'm turning my metaphorical helm now.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:40 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

http://www.xenithxenons.com/

Thats the company. He is a vendor over on Honda-Tech.com One of the things really like about him is he seems to answer your questions super fast. He got great reviews for that as others said the same thing about you being able to actually get intouch with him unlike a lot of other companies and a few said the kits seemed made well. Ofcourse a few said they actually did have to modify stuff to get them to work.

I'm really starting to get cold feet and think about not getting them though. This is whats happend in the past with them. I found out his even though people seemed to like them he says are made in China and I've heard in most cases to stay away from ones made in China. So that worries me a little and I just am not sure I want to spend $175 on a set of headlight bulbs that if they are like the ones in my uncles prius probably aren't worth anywhere near that anyway other than the color. I'm now not sure what I want to do.

Quick Reply: Anyone Tried these HID kits?