2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hypertech Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:49 PM
RamTate
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hypertech Tuning

Ok guys here we go again, I did some searching and didn't find the info so question is;

I just found and bought a Hypertech III for about $150. didn't have more to go for the superchips so I just did this. I just followed the directions to tune it and it worked fine all accept it never gave me the option to tune for larger tires??? I thought you were suppossed to be able to do that??

Second Question is, It maybe, kinda, sorta, I think, possibly... runs a little smoother?? But other than that I can't really seem to feel much improvement??? Does the computer need 30 miles or so before it really starts to learn the new settings?

I have the 2003 1500 4x4 5.9L WITH the "deathflashed" PCM.

Thanks for any comments.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:56 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hypertech Tuning

Mine gave me the option to put in a larger tire size. It went in .25" increments I think. I don't remember where it was but maybe it doesn't work with your truck or maybe you missed it? I don't know but mine did let me do that. I also didn't notice a huge difference but it did seem to help above 60 or so. It feels like it wants to go a lot faster from there but it might have been me just having not driven it in a while so not remember what it felt like. That or the transmission that was done at the same time I guess.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:56 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

BTW maybe you should ask in the 3rd gen forum. They may know more.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:07 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my 2001 hypertech also did not allow me to adjust for tires. i called them and asked about it and just got a bunch of BS that i must not have the proper kelsey-hayes brake controller, go see the dealer, blah blah blah. they were no help at all. i didn't notice a lot of extra power either. what i did notice though was a spark knock problem due to the leaking plenum and advanced timing. it went away after i fixed the plenum. if you find out why yours skipped the tire size, i'd sure like to know.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:32 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Weird do you still have your Hypertech? I have read on Hypertech's site about the Kelsey-hayes or whatever brake controller but never heard of it other than from their site. Mine did however let me adjust for the tire size. Thats one of the reasons I bought it. My speedo went from being off according to my GPS to being almost perfect according to it after using the Hypertech.

BTW I don't have any brake controllers if it's like one of the brake controllers you plug in for trailers. If it's something else that came stock maybe I do have it then I don't know but mine let me adjust the tire size just fine.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:54 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes i've still got the hypertech active in the truck. on the drivers side fender near the firewall is the stock brake controller module. it says kelsey-hayes on the case and has all kinds of part numbers all over it. i don't have any kind of extra towing controller. i read all those part numbers to hypertech and asked them if that wasn't the right part number then what was. the guy i talked to was useless and didn't know anything at all. it was a waste of time to talk to him.

if anyone knows why hypertech skips the tire size adjustment on some trucks i'd sure like to know ?

Old 05-07-2008, 11:32 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Oh ok since that controller is stock maybe I do have it. I thought they meant like a brake box for towing trailers. I don't have one of those added on but maybe if it's stock I do. All I know is my Hypertech let me adjust the tire size. It was one of the reasons I wanted it so I'm glad it did.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:08 AM
RamTate
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok well I guess I'll try calling Hypertech and just hope that I get someone more helpful than you ended up with. I drove it to work this morning and it's really hard to tell if I'm noticing a difference or not... I does seem that it might be running smoother though but then again it's been cool out and the ambient air pressure has been up too so that tends to make a motor run a little nicer.

I'll try getting someone helpful from hypertech and if I can find out why it skipped the tire sizes I'll let you know. I tried programming twice and followed every step it asked and the tire size never came up...

The person I bought the unit from had the exact same truck as me and they said it made a big difference

Quick Reply: Hypertech Tuning