2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

common vacuum leaks???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:15 PM
methpmp
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default common vacuum leaks???

where is the most common spots for a vacuum leak on a 99 ram with the 360 engine.... its worst when the water temp is under 130 and it fades out after then but its still there.

i know its a vacuum leak cuz the vents goto defrost whenever i get on it, and it takes a while for the motor to calm back down after revving it. i think its the intake manifold gasket but i have sprayed carb cleaner and it didnt do anything but i havent had time to really look

i disconnected the lines for cruse control and the vents to try to eliminate those and they aint the problem its still there.

any suggestions PLEASE HELP ITS ANNOYING

Old 05-07-2008, 10:22 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: common vacuum leaks???

the most common is the plenum belly pan (the bottom plate of the intake).

also, there are two check valves in the vac lines on the passenger side of the engine. they're small, not much bigger than nickels. these are the likely culprits on the defroster.

under the battery is a cruise control thing and battery acid can eat up that line.

on 4wd, there is a long string of vac lines going to the t-case, then the front axle cad, and back to the t-case. these get messed up a lot.

i've never had much luck with spraying carb cleaner. get a cheap hand vac pump w/gauge for about $20 or less.

Quick Reply: common vacuum leaks???