2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Direction

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008 | 02:12 PM
luvmytrk
Rookie
Default RE: New Direction

i agree 100% with PA, you spent 4000 on a performance trans that was supposedly built around the big tires and lift, and i also agree that a performance trans is obviously not going to shift like a stock trans , but it does sound like this trans is not shifting correctly.

i work at a chrysler dealer here in pa and they hired a transmission tech that use to run his own tranny rebuild shop from his house, he has more trannys come back with problems that he rebuilds then you can imagine.
i honestly have never torn into a tranny before,just never had the desire to, that is why im debating getting a mopar reman for my truck ,that and it will only cost me around $1400 to get it.

i do agree with alot of the posts in here though about how there are alot of shops out there just looking to rip people off and that part of the car industry makes me sick. It gives the rest of us a bad rap.
i have a theory when im at work, id rather take my to the job right the first time then to have to redo over and over for free.(we are flat rate at my shop)

i would like to see pics of 01's truck with the 285's though because even though my truck has 16's on it i have 285's and they look pretty good on there i just cant imagine a 285 17inch tire being that much narrower but i could be wrong.

Old 05-25-2008 | 02:28 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: luvmytrk

i agree 100% with PA, you spent 4000 on a performance trans that was supposedly built around the big tires and lift, and i also agree that a performance trans is obviously not going to shift like a stock trans , but it does sound like this trans is not shifting correctly.

i work at a chrysler dealer here in pa and they hired a transmission tech that use to run his own tranny rebuild shop from his house, he has more trannys come back with problems that he rebuilds then you can imagine.
i honestly have never torn into a tranny before,just never had the desire to, that is why im debating getting a mopar reman for my truck ,that and it will only cost me around $1400 to get it.

i do agree with alot of the posts in here though about how there are alot of shops out there just looking to rip people off and that part of the car industry makes me sick. It gives the rest of us a bad rap.
i have a theory when im at work, id rather take my to the job right the first time then to have to redo over and over for free.(we are flat rate at my shop)

i would like to see pics of 01's truck with the 285's though because even though my truck has 16's on it i have 285's and they look pretty good on there i just cant imagine a 285 17inch tire being that much narrower but i could be wrong.
Right on ... where in pa are you at ?

Old 05-25-2008 | 02:51 PM
luvmytrk
Rookie

western pa about a couple hours south of erie.

Old 05-25-2008 | 09:39 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
|
Banned

In regards to the tires, they have actually begun to grow on me. I think when I first some them, I was just in pure shell shock. It was just too much to handle in one day. That morning the lift had been taken out, so that was a blow. Then when I went to go pick the truck up, it was outside and the truck was very filthy. The mud tires were in the bed just oozing over the bed rails, and the wheels were covered in brake dust. So I just got really phyched out. Saw the smaller tires, the lift was lower than usual, and the truck was dirty, it just shocked me. Now that I've gotten a chance to wash the truck and tire shine the tires and clean the wheels, the truck looks fantastic. It's a blast to drive. I have so much more stability now on the highway and backroads. I can actually feel the truck when I'm driving, it's an awesome feeling. Plus, gas mileage is insane. I'm averaging 14mpg! And it keeps getting better. When I drive down to work, my truck is averaging 20 mpg at speeds over 55mph, and it just drives so smooth and effortlessly. The only bad part about the smaller tires and the better stability, is I find myself speeding, A LOT. The truck really hauls. I can pass people with ease, and it just wants to keep going. I will admit, I've already breached 100mph a couple times now. With this transmission, it does excellent at full throttle. I understand it isn't a stock transmission, completely got that. For instance, that hard shift out of first to me isn't exactly pleasant, but I can also appreciate that it's normal and that's what a heavy duty transmission does. But when it shifts into overdrive, it's quite different. It's not a hard shift, it's a skip, and it's the only thing I want to be addressed. Everything else I can get over because it's worth the great performance the transmission has at full throttle. But the skip, no, it must be addressed. With the tires, as much as I like them, they do look a little soft from the front and rear. I'm sitll stickin with the 33, but I just want them to be a little wider to give the truck a tad bit more of an aggressive stance. I think the 33/12.5 will be perfect in the looks department. I really am enjoying the truck though. The offroad edition height is PERFECT for me. It's still very high, and I still got to hop into the truck. I'm still as higher than the half tons, and as high as the 3/4 tons, so I can't complain at all. Other than the overdrive skip, I'm loving the truck along with it's performance, stability, power, smoothness, and gas mileage

Old 05-25-2008 | 09:59 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

are you still getting different tires ?? BFG TKO AT is a nice tire , nitto is a nice tire and really cheap..Im gonna drop from a 35" tire to a 33" tire so im gonna loose a 1/2 " of tire woopie dooo

Old 05-25-2008 | 10:16 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
|
Banned

I was going to go with the BFG but just wayy too much money. I ordered the procomp all terrains. 50,000 mile warranty, and it is severe weather rated. Also looks to ride a little smoother which is what is important to me. Are you taking some of the lift off?

Old 05-25-2008 | 10:22 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 01DodgeRam360

I was going to go with the BFG but just wayy too much money. I ordered the procomp all terrains. 50,000 mile warranty, and it is severe weather rated. Also looks to ride a little smoother which is what is important to me. Are you taking some of the lift off?
keeping the height , just mite go with a 33" tire..with a 4.56 gear...lol

Old 05-25-2008 | 10:25 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
|
Banned

I hear that. I was shocked with the prices of BFGs. I think for a 305/65/17, it was $350 a piece. I was instantly non interested. The procomps were about $265 a piece. Still expensive, but it was the only tire that had a semi aggressive look to it, but would still ride smooth down the highway. A 4.56 gear and a 33 is going to be nuts. What's the top speed you can get with a 4.56 by the way, does it limit top speeds noticably?

** not top speeds, i mean highway speeds.

Old 05-25-2008 | 10:53 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

I dont know about the top speed i only do the speed limit.. but at 65 mph pulling 2300 rpm.

Old 05-25-2008 | 11:19 PM
pipeking
Veteran

padodgeram what kind of mpgs are you getting with the 4.56 and what ever size tires you got. 65mph @ 2300 seems high to me about 300rpms.i ask cuz i was thinking of 4.56 or 4.10 i just dont want to be to high cuz i do alot of highway.

sorry for the hijack!

Quick Reply: New Direction