2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

just bought

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 09:09 PM
gunner70
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought

I just bought a 2001 1500 4x4with 5.9 gas.I have afew questions,how much horsepower does it make?I thought only diesels had block heaters,why does a gas motor need one?Is this a good pulling truck?How many miles will I get ouot of this truck, it has 76000 on it now?

Old 05-11-2008, 09:44 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: just bought

I just bought a 2001 1500 4x4with 5.9 gas.
congratulations and welcome to df. there is a search button at the top that will help your find 1000's of posts that discuss most all common problems. check the box for.... search terms found in "body or subject" and you'll get better results. also choose search in forum "ram - 2nd gen"

how much horsepower does it make?
i don't know.

I thought only diesels had block heaters,why does a gas motor need one?
its probably from a cold climate. they start a lot better when they're not -20 degrees.

Is this a good pulling truck?
it is if the gear/tire combination is right and you service the transmission regularly. 4.10's or 4.56 will pull like a mule. 3.55's and big tires suck.

How many miles will I get ouot of this truck, it has 76000 on it now?
engine will probably last forever.
transmission will probably fall out tomorrow.
front end parts will wear out.
if you have one, the track-lock lsd will fail

download this. its the 2001 service manual.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_340929/tm.htm

Old 05-11-2008, 09:47 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to the df...1 st off.... should be a good pulling truck if the tranny is strong , miles that depends on how its been tyreated and how u treat it... i got a 99 w/ 156k and runs great of coarse ive put money into it and lots of time ive seen these trucks with over250k on the clock so....the heater thing i dunno i know up north in maine alot a people use em to keep the bocks from freezing i think....mayb some will chime in on that ...but welcome and lets see some pics....and there are alot of knowledgable gear heads on here so if u have any probs let us know.......................................j

Old 05-11-2008, 09:55 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-Your 5.9L will make 245 HP

-Block heater is for cold weather, for example here in ND it would be rare to see a vehicle, gas or diesel, without a block heater. Cold weather=hard starting or no starting at all, block heater makes cold weather start-ups go smoothly

-IMO the 5.9 is a good pulling motor for a gas engine. They are very tough motors

-My 97' ram had like 190k on it when it got traded, 98' dakota had 120k and my 98' ram had 125k. Only real problems that caused me trouble were the transmissions went out on all of them, but this was partially due to poor trans maintance on my part.

-The amount of miles you get out of your truck will be determined by how well it has been maintained, how you treat it, and how well you maintain it. There are members on here that have over 200k (non-diesel) on their trucks and have had little if any troubles.

Here's to your new truck [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 05-12-2008, 12:03 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: gunner70

I just bought a 2001 1500 4x4with 5.9 gas.I have afew questions,how much horsepower does it make?
Welcome to DF!

I believe jnellydodge is correct, it should make about 245hp stock. There were once rumors that the 2000 or 2001 model years made an extra 5, 250 total, but I never saw concrete proof of that.

I thought only diesels had block heaters,why does a gas motor need one?
They don't "need" one, but they help the engine out a lot, like someone said, when its -20. If its going to be 30 degrees or less, I always plug it in. Starts up a lot easier, lot less "warm up" period before I take it to work. Comes in handy if its a bad morning and I'm running late.

Is this a good pulling truck?How many miles will I get ouot of this truck, it has 76000 on it now?
Most of the 2ng Gen Rams I see have over 100k on them and are still going. Will you have to put money into it? Probably. The transmissions, depending on how you (and previous owners) treat(ed) them, can be finicky. Its a 4x4, so some parts tend to wear a little quicker in some areas than in a 2WD.

Congratulations on the new truck. Any questions that you can't find answers to by using the "search" link (top of page), let us know. I'm not much of a mechanic myself, but many here are, and are more than willing to help you out.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:03 PM
gunner70
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think my trans is in good shape.It shifts real stronge,like it has a shift kitmor something.

Quick Reply: just bought