2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help wiring a brake controller.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 01:55 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help wiring a brake controller.

I'm trying to wire up my newly purchased brake controller the colors on the brake controller are the opposite of what I ususally see when doing car stereo stuff.

I also have the wiring harness that came with the truck but it doesn't label what wire is what and the instructions don't tell you other than to connect the wires and how to plug it in.

The instructions from the brake controller say this

White wire: Ground
Blue Wire: trailer electric brakes
Black Wire: Positive Terminal on Battery
Red Wire: Cold side of stop lamp switch

I called the dealer to check on what wires from the factory harness were what and he is confused as it says I sould have a red wire with a orange tracer and mine is a red wire with a black line down it.

Basically my factory harness that came with the truck has

Red wire with black stripe
White Wire with brown stripe
Black Wire
and Light blue wire

Which does each of those wires do? I need to know which wire on the factory harness to connect to which wire on the brake controller harness. Thanks.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:21 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Default RE: Need help wiring a brake controller.

I went down to test it out with a meter and think I have it but want to make sure. I pluged it in and it seems like black is ground as it works as a ground when I put the black piece from the meter on it. The red with a black stripe has a constant power doesn't matter if the truck is on or off, and the white with brown stripe has power only when I hit the brake pedal, then the blue I never could get to have power on it. So where is what I'm thinking

Black: Ground
Red with black stripe: 12v power from battery
Blue: Must be trailer brake wire and I'm assuming the brake controller will send power through it?
White with brown strip: Brake light wire

Am I correct? So basically I'd hook the black wire to the ground of the other one, the red wire to the positive battery terminal wire of the other one, the blue one to the trailer electric brakes, and the white wire with the brown stripe to the cold side of stop lamp switch wire on the other one. Does this sound correct?

Old 05-14-2008, 06:38 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I found this picture that looks like the harness I have

It has the wires labeled like I thought except for the white one in that picture says vehicle brake. Do I connect this to the wire on the brake controller labeled cold side of the stop lamp switch? Thats what the red wire is labled on the brake controller. I'm assuming these two needed to be connected am I correct? I think after I figure that out I will be done. Hopefully it's right as I put them together but if I have to cut them apart and do something else not a big deal.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:19 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I've seen a few sites that confirms I have it wired up right. I was pretty sure I did I just wanted to make 100% sure since I wasn't sure if the blue should have power or not. Guess I have it right.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:04 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Quick ? now that I've got it working what size fuse do I want to put in the fuse holder I put in the hot lead from the battery? I wasn't sure if the factory one had a fuse even though it should. I figured it should have also had that wire connected so I'd be safe and add another inline fuse. I did that but am curious as to what size to put in it. Should I do 20amp or is that not big enough? Or too big? I don't want one thats too big but I also don't want to blow them if nothing is wrong.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:37 PM
securtis12
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think 20 is a bit much you want the fuse to blow before it cooks the unit. I can not remeber what I used but I believe it is a 10 amp. It may say on your controller what it draws. It is always better to start out smaller and go bigger then to go big and fry something. Worse that can happen is it will blow the fuse and you will have to go up.

Quick Reply: Need help wiring a brake controller.