2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cat question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 10:59 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bump lol

Old 10-13-2011, 11:24 PM
John D in CT
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that was one hell of a bump! 3 1/2 years!

I couldn't believe my eyes when I (thought I) saw zman actually asking a question (other than "Just what the hell is wrong with you??"), and about cats no less.

Did anyone ever find his first post? That I'd love to see; maybe it's something like "hey, what does that pedal all the way over to the right do?"

But since you bumped it, and no one answered z's question -

Maybe the outlet of the cat is hotter because of all the funky chemical reactions going on in their, with molecules swapping electrons the way Paris Hilton swaps spit. Faster-moving electrons = heat, just like water heats up in a microwave. I think I just read somewhere that cats can actually overcome some of the drag they create by the heat they produce. I'll look into it some more, but $.05 says it's normal for the outlet to be hotter than the inlet.

On a serious note - zman, that's a hell of a nice thing you're doing for Gary. Tough times call for good friends like you. Well done, my friend. Here's hoping he makes it through this OK with the help of people like you, and drewactual, and all the other people in his life.

Last edited by John D in CT; 10-13-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:59 AM
John D in CT
Veteran

Bumped again because I don't think John noticed me "giving him the business", which just won't do .....

And also to include some info about cat inlet and outlet temperatures:

"If the catalytic converter functions properly, the outlet should have a higher temperature".

http://www.chasetools.com/page2/page6/page6.html

And this, from someone whose first language I suspect is something other than English:

"catalytic converter in normal operation, due to oxidation generated a lot of reaction heat, it can be judged by comparing the temperature difference between the performance is good or bad catalytic converter. Start the engine and warm to normal operating temperature, will remain at 2500r/min engine speed around the vehicle lift, with the digital thermometer (contact or non-contact infrared laser thermometer) to measure the import and export of catalytic converter temperature to be as close to the catalytic converter (50mm inside). Catalytic converter outlet temperature higher than the inlet temperature should be at least 10 to 15%, most of the normal work of the catalytic converter, the catalytic converter outlet temperature higher than the inlet temperature of 20 to 25%".

http://resources.alibaba.com/topic/8...agnosis_b_.htm

"The temperature should go up a few hundred degrees between the inlet & outlet if the converter is operating efficiently".

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...peratures.html

"At normal operating temperature the outlet temperature should always be more than the inlet. If this temperature is in excess of 200°F the engine is likely running rich. Symptoms of a clogged catalytic converter include a loss of power and the vehicle will be extremely sluggish because of the restricted exhaust flow".

Lastly, a definitive method for testing for a clogged cat:

"Use a back pressure tester to confirm test for a clogged catalytic converter. Remove an upstream oxygen sensor install a back pressure tester. Usually the specifications will require back pressure to be below 1.0 psi. at idle and no more than 4 or 5 psi.at snap throttle. There's a big difference between a late model vehicle and an older model. Always check with vehicle manufactures specifications".

http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/ca...r-clogged.html

Old 10-15-2011, 12:23 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

LOL to both of you. What a dumbass I was. hahaha (still am I guess)

That damn vacuum test is useless as far as the plenum goes. And my Raytek Mini Temp gun only goes to 500 degrees. So only a short couple weeks went by, before I got my pressure tester. Couple of wise guys hey? I'd love to see my first post too, btw. Do a search and remove the o2 sensor! LOL

Old 10-15-2011, 01:21 PM
John D in CT
Veteran

"I'd love to see my first post too, btw. Do a search and remove the o2 sensor! LOL"

That reminds me: When you all change your clocks in a couple of weeks, remember to also change the batteries in your smoke detectors, and remove your O2 sensors. (Haw haw)

Also, replace your crank sensor whether it's bad or not. (They're only $120)

This has been a Public Service Announcement. Had this been an actual emergency, you would have been instructed to immediately remove your O2 sensor.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:51 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Lmao.....

Edit, I think that is my first post.

Last edited by zman17; 10-15-2011 at 03:44 PM.

Quick Reply: cat question