2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Infinity system head unit replacement? Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 06:08 PM
motodeficient
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infinity system head unit replacement? Help

I have a 96 ram 1500 with the infinity sound system. The stock head unit is messed up (can't adjust volume) so I put in an aftermarket CD player. THe problem is I believe the Infinity system consists of 8 speakers (two for highs in the front, two for lows in the front, two for highs in the back, and two for lows in the back)? Am I correct?

I am only getting sound out of the two highs in the front and two highs in the back. So I am getting very little bass out of this....

What to do? Do I need a 4 channel amp to power the other 4 speakers? Is the stock head unit really 8 channel?

I feel like I am missing something here and am having a brain cramp

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:27 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Infinity system head unit replacement? Help

Do you have all the speaker wires hooked up correctly on the new h/u? You have the blue wire connected to turn the stock amp on right? Also are you sure the speakers are working? Were they working with the factory h/u?

Old 05-20-2008, 07:46 PM
motodeficient
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i figured it out. I didn't have the blue amp turn-on wire hooked up. I never had a vehicle with a factory amp before so I have never had to use that wire before.

I guess I should have searched more before I posted this!

Thanks!

Old 05-20-2008, 08:06 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup I had that problem although with mine I got no sound except for from the subs which were hooked up via pre outs. I thought the H/U was bad as I bought it used. It wasn't supposed to be very old and was a really expensive H/U I got for a decent price. Still expensive but not bad. Well, I complained to the guy and we tested it out in a buddys car and it worked. This is when I realized that it wasn't the H/U. After talking with Crutchfield since I bought the harness there they said maybe to try the blue wire so I did and it worked.

Quick Reply: Infinity system head unit replacement? Help