2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

trans problem found

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:39 PM
99blueram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans problem found

OK, I have to rewrite about my trans problem cause it was lost in the website fix. I dropped the pan on my 46RE trans on my 99 ram and found the anchor from the front band wedged between case and valve body.So this is probably the cause of no 2nd gear. Has anyone ran into this one before and do you think it warrants a rebuild? I am up for the challange of doing it myself, what are your comments on this. Am i not crazy to tackle this?Let me know your thoughts.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:58 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: trans problem found

I ran into this and seems like several other guys have. You can stick it back. Thats what I did with mine I had a shop stick it back in and ran it for another 2 months or so then it was slipping horribly taking off and just never was exactly right again after that.

Another guy at PS that had this happen around the time I did fixxed it and it did okay for a short period of time then his got bad too. Wayne said this is a common issue and seems to also keep happening once it happens once. I don't know but I know mine wasn't ever right and after 2 months or so I just went with a APS. IMO it wasn't worth even trying to fix although some may have gotten it to work it seems like a lot of use haven't.

As for a rebuild I'd go APS or Dr. Evil. I don't get why anyone would go with anything else as it seems like the guys that try to get it rebuilt just end up with one problem after another. See 01DodgeRam360's problems and for the price he paid he could have probably had a nice APS that really was brand new not rebuilt.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:13 PM
99blueram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: trans problem found

Thanks Hometheaterman for the info. What are your thoughts on me doing a rebulid myself. Have any others attempted this route. I believe with 90,000 on trans it would be smart to do frictions and bands (maybe even a heavy duty shift kit). Let me know your thoughts on this.

Quick Reply: trans problem found