2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Not a truck but,,,

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:06 AM
timsalas
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not a truck but,,,

So I posted this in the intrepid section.. But I didnt get very good response, Ive also posted on google groups etc, Figured I'd run this past you guys and see if anyone might know where I can begin troubleshooting,.

k, Here goes nothin lol,

Wife has a 1999 v6 3.2 liter Chrysler Concorde.. Been havin problems starting since about 2 years ago.. Head gasket blew, yada yada,, stil under waranty, got head gasket replaced, new radiator, plugs, water pump etc and a new starter.. Before it would click but wouldnt start untill after trying 5 to 10 times.. well, about 3 months after it was "fixed" it started happening again, this time, no clicking noise.. You would turn the key, and you could hear the fuel pump prime, and lights in the dash would all turn on, as usuall, but then nothing. It would take about 10 to 20 tries to start. Engine developed a very anoying whine.. took it to my mechanic, fixed it ( bad pully) also replaced the started again.. Didnt help.. Switched the relay ,, nada.. Since this car has a god awfull design,its a PITA to get to the battery, but from what I saw, the battery doesnt really look like its in very good shape, eventhough the lights in teh cabin are bright etc. So im trying to diagnose this my self. My Mechnica was suggesting it be a bad starter switch or something to that affect, but Im not convinced ( I believe he meant the switch in the steering colum) When I turn the key, everything that should happen happens, except for the starter engaging. Seems to mme that its picky on how the weather is as well, which leads me to believe that it has to be wiring related. has anyone experianced a similar issue?

Thanks!

-Tim

Old 05-22-2008, 08:30 AM
CSXfan
All Star
Default RE: Not a truck but,,,

My 1994 Dakota was having the same problem. I would turn the ignition on, all lights and buzzers would come on, fuel pump would prime, but as soon as I tried to start the truck, it would just sit there. No clicks or check engine light. After fiddling with it for a while I found that my truck wasn't engageing into park all the way. If I put it into neutral it will start just fine. Maybe your Concorde has the same problem? Just throwing it out there...

Old 05-22-2008, 10:14 AM
timsalas
Veteran

Hmm, Ive tried putting it in reverse and putting it back in park before to see if it would help but it didnt, I havent tried putting it in nuetral all the way to see if it would start from nuetral.. Also to note, after it will start in park after Multiple attempts and its iffy on the weather as well, which is why im thinking possible bad ground somewhere, but Thanks for the info CSXfan, Ill have to try putting it in all the way in neutral, it might be some short in the wiring there as well..

Old 05-22-2008, 10:27 AM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

Take the battery to an Advance Auto and have them test it. Start with the obvious first and then work your way into the complicated stuff. 9 times out of 10 you have a bad battery. If the battery comes out bad test the alternator to to make sure that it hasn't been fried.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:30 AM
timsalas
Veteran

Well, I desided to order an ignition switch.. why you ask? Because I found a brand new one off of ebay for 28 bux, which is cheaper than getting a new battery or taking the car to a place to have the bat checked.. sooo Ill be replacing the ignition switch when I get the thing.. If that doesnt do it.. then Im gonna do the batary thing lol

Old 05-23-2008, 09:19 AM
timsalas
Veteran

Oh grrreat.. they shipped it to my old address .. sent panicky email asking if they could change addy .. they already bought the stamp, meh.. I SUCK,, old paypall account had my old shipping info.. I SUCK! lol

Old 05-28-2008, 03:37 AM
timsalas
Veteran

Just as an update... I swaped out the ignition switch and that **seemed** to have done the trick.. Now Its a game of wait and see if she'll start up on cold mornings etc.

Quick Reply: Not a truck but,,,