2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird oil qustion...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 11:31 PM
Shawn86
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird oil qustion...

When I had first changed my oil to synthetic, Royal Purple, my first concern was that it really was purple and that it was going to be kinda hard to tell how worn it is. I just checked it at 1500 miles and its now black! Is this normal for this brand? I know castrols sysnthetics were '"normal" colored, light brown to carmel, and I just wasn't sure and was debating on whether not to change this weekend. Has anybody else here used Royal Purple and had this?

Old 05-22-2008, 11:37 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Weird oil qustion...

I use Royal Purple and I think it's more black when I drain it out but I haven't payed super close attention to it. I run it 3-5k miles. I try to change it around 3k but sometimes go a little over. I thought it still had a purple tint somewhat when I drained it but it may not have been.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:29 AM
Shawn86
Professional

I dunno, I also added a can of that Engine Restore stuff and it was a dark blue color so that may have been what made the oil so dark to begin with. I'm sure it's fine, I just wanted to double check!

Old 05-23-2008, 01:34 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

When you first switch, the synthetic may clean out some of the gunk that dino oil misses/leaves alone. Give it another change or two, see if its as black as the first time.

Speaking of the devil, I just switched my differential oils to Royal Purple 75w-90 (rear) and 75w-140 (front). Thats also when I first realized it really was purple in color. Going on a nice long 250-ish mile trip to Rochester, MN, here tomorrow with the truck. We'll see how she does for mileage. Finished off my Mobil 1 10w-30 for the engine, 5k-6k miles from now we'll try the Royal Purple 10w-30. That lower MN speed limit (70 instead of 75) might help a bit too.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:22 AM
timsalas
Veteran

Does it smell like grape? lol

Was thinking of trying it out, but I got some leaks, so im probably better off staying ont he dino stuff

Quick Reply: Weird oil qustion...