2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Possible head gasket blown?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 04:01 PM
c.jordan84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible head gasket blown?

Hi all,

I posted not long ago about a thermostat replacement that went horribly wrong... rounded off a bolt into the intake manifold. Long story short, my cousin replaced the manifold with one from a '98 dodge and sealed everything up. When I crank it, it misses horribly and heats up almost instantly.

The check engine light came on, so I took it to AutoZone for a computer readout. The result was that it was missing on the 5th and 7th cylinders and the IAC was reporting a low idle. If I drive it for a while and let it heat up, then stop and crank it again, I get a lot of white smoke out of the exhaust pipe. Also, if I crank it without the radiator cap on, water shoots up far enough to hit the underside of the hood. I can tell there's some pressure in there somewhere, too, because when I cut it off after it heats up, there's enough pressure to push water/steam through the hose clamp on top of the water pump.

While driving, it overheats almost to the top white line, but won't go any further beyond that (and I know I shouldn't be driving it, but it's my only means of transportation).

What do you guys think? Have I blown a head gasket or could it be another problem?

Old 05-24-2008, 04:18 PM
ant824
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Possible head gasket blown?

Well my first guess is that you have a cracked intake or its clogged somehow. BUT now since you have been driving it under these conditions you probably have a blown head gasket, cracked head, or cracked block. Also check to make sure that the spark plugs were hooked up in correct order if they disconnected them to do the work.

Quick Reply: Possible head gasket blown?