2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

U-Joint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 10:10 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-Joint?

Had a question for you guys. I believe my front passenger side u-joint is about to go on me. I can move it around with ease when the truck is parked, and the squeeking noise when I drive and hit bumps is becoming more and more loud. Originally I thought it was the drum brakes in the rear causing the squeeking, but then I remember the transmission shop told me in February that the u-joint was in rough shape. I just wanted to know if there were any dangers of driving around with a loose u-joint? I don't have the money this week to replace it, but if it's something that could be dangerous, I obviously will have to replace it. I'd like to replace it myself, but I've heard it's takes a lot of prying to get the hub assembly out?

Old 05-27-2008, 02:14 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: U-Joint?

I would try to get it fixed before I drove on it. This is weird as I just had to have my ujoints replaced today only mine were the ones on the driveshaft that were bad.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:17 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The only thing thats happening is the bearings and seals are taking a beating from the vibration.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:34 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

ive been drivin on a bad driver u joint for a while now. its nothin to really sweat over. go to advance and get their top grade u joints, which i run. jack the truck up, take the wheel off, your gonna have to take the hub off, pull the axle shaft out, get a socket that you can mess up with an extension and hammer the ****er out. or better yet, go to wal mart and get a compressor, with some air tools (air hammer) and use that to hammer it out. Plan a couple days cause it gets tiring. Alot ofpeople say hitting the shaft with a brass hammer will take the tension out of the metal and its easier to get out. I have yet to find a brass hammer.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:35 PM
SuperReb

Hey yall my right side u joint is worn all the way out. Any step by steps and /or pictures. I just hate to mess something else up.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-08-2008, 11:12 PM
dillonjm
Veteran

It's pretty easy with the exception of getting the joing itself out. I've found that heat helps.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:48 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Northern toola brass hammer for $15.

Quick Reply: U-Joint?