2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oh where, oh where has my antifreeze gone???

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 03:24 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Oh where, oh where has my antifreeze gone???

ORIGINAL: kowboydmac

Well I got screwed. I ordered the recommended four seasons heater core, but it was alluminum when I got it.
Are you certain you did not order the Proliance heater core? That one is aluminum and does not have foam on it.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:28 PM
kowboydmac
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, actually I believe I took your advice from a prior Heater Core thread, and ordered the Four Seasons core. Maybe I just got the wrong one? I think mine was made in Mexico. Do you know where the Four Season HC was made?

Old 06-26-2008, 03:30 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

Yeah, the 94466 is the one I got, and the picture on the site now shows an aluminum one. I know they previously had a brass and copper one, from four seasons, picture and all. Maybe the cost of gas is even affecting the heater cores now.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, the 94466 is the one I got, and the picture on the site now shows an aluminum one. I know they previously had a brass and copper one, from four seasons, picture and all. Maybe the cost of gas is even affecting the heater cores now.
Doubtful. The Four Seasons matches mine and looks brass to me. [&:]

Four Seasons

Proliance

Old 06-26-2008, 04:28 PM
justneed2
Rookie

What's the benefit of the brass over the aluminum?

As for patience, I've got that.... usually. And when it fades is when I pull the plug and come back tomorrow, that way i don't end up doing something stupid.

I don't think anyone answered this question either - are any special tools needed? Or can I get by with the usuals??

Thanks

Old 06-26-2008, 04:57 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

well i got that four seasons one. i didn't know brass came in silver and had rotating arms and mine didn't come with foam. but i promise that's the one i got.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:32 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

I can't remember using anything specific, but a deep set of metric AND sae is useful. These dodges are all mixed up and you specifically need deep sockets for most of the bolts.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:55 PM
justneed2
Rookie

I can't remember using anything specific, but a deep set of metric AND sae is useful. These dodges are all mixed up and you specifically need deep sockets for most of the bolts.

alright, those i have [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 07-09-2008, 02:33 PM
justneed2
Rookie

Well I finally had a chance to rip into my truck this weekend to replace the heater core and a/c core.

Thanks to the members on this forum the job was relatively easy. I followed the write up found here:
https://dodgeforum.com/m_879602/tm.htm

The writeup was very detailed, and accurate! I'm no mechanic, but do consider myself mechanically inclined. And for what its worth, although initially hesitant about undertaking this job myself I'm glad I did. Other than being time consuming, it was actually fairly easy.

For anyone else considering this, I say go for it. From a time standpoint it took me 2 days to get the job done. 1 day of disassembly and 1 day of reassembly (about 11-12 hours total). If I had to do it again i could probably get it done in half the time, but I was being overly cautious so I wouldn't make a stupid mistake.

My core was definitely cracked, but i am still having a leaking issue, so a buddy is coming over to help me pressure test the rest of the system tonight. I'll let you know what I find during the pressure test in case someone may find it helpful in the future.

Gotta love driving an older vehicle LOL, the fun never stops.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Viper37
Banned

LOL! Good job doing it, but Heater Core replacement is NOT a DIY job. Especially on our trucks. It is over 8 hours of serious labor. Not to mention reassembly. Lots of clips and things to replace on the way back togeather. That and if you dont re-tether everything connectly things will rattle all day long.

To me, it was worth the $7xx that I paid.
Good job doing it, you are more adventurous than I am.

Quick Reply: Oh where, oh where has my antifreeze gone???