2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:47 AM
RamMan22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Problem

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post as i am new to this site, jsut discovered it.

I had a question and was wondering if anyone knew how to fix it

I noticed that my headlights Died last night while driving, I check the bulbs and the fuses and nothing looks broken or damaged, I heard something about the Light/dimmer switch being crap and running on max capacity, causing a common problem of the lights shorting out.

Is this what this is, or could it be something else, How much is it to fix and how easy is it to due by yourself?

also i apoligize if this as already been asked somewhere, i check the stickies but didnt realy find what i was looking for,

Thank you guys.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:12 PM
msbhavn_dodge
Default RE: Headlight Problem

Yup, its gonna be the headlight switch... I have 3 dodges and everyone messes up. The switch is about $100 and its only available from the dealership, its very easy to install. Take the black dash piece off, the cupholder and ash tray have 2 screws a piece in them... then when the dash trim is off, 3 screws hold the headlight switch in

Old 06-02-2008, 01:14 PM
RamMan22

thank you! the high beams still work so that why i think its just the light switch, there only avaliable through Dodge dealership, there is an aftermarket one that will fit? that i can find on the cheap?

Old 06-02-2008, 01:37 PM
msbhavn_dodge

not that i've heard of... you can always run a jumper wire from the light tothe + on the battery... just have to hook and unhook when you turn them on and off

Old 06-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Ramsrush
Professional

Here,save yourself 87 dollars. ttp://www.autozone.com/R,APP240473/vehicleId,2001102/initialAction,partProductDetail/store,266/partType,00123/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

Old 06-02-2008, 05:15 PM
msbhavn_dodge

sounds like he has a 99 or newer sport.... dont think that switch would help

Old 06-02-2008, 10:39 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the switch really that much? I thought I only paid like $50 some for it from the local dealer and they are usually high on parts. However that might have been when I worked at a shop and got a 25% discount. Anyway I replaced mine not because it went bad but because the **** broke off. I got tired of pulling on the little piece the **** goes onto so I replaced it and kept that one as a spare. It still works just doesn't have a **** just the stub thing the **** goes onto. It was super easy to replace like said just pull the black dash bezel off and it was I think 3 screws been a while since I've done it but 3 screws holding the switch in.

I don't know why he said to remove the cup holders. You didn't have to on my 01 Ram.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:09 PM
msbhavn_dodge

on a 97 or older you have to remove the cupholders...

Old 06-03-2008, 01:40 AM
Ramsrush
Professional

He can still get one for under $20.Whoever pays $100 for a light switch is an idiot.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:03 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ramsrush

He can still get one for under $20.Whoever pays $100 for a light switch is an idiot.
Maybe they have to much money, or maybe they are uninformed. Or perhaps they simply wanted a quick fix. But they are definitely not an idiot.

Think before you speak.

Quick Reply: Headlight Problem