2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:05 AM
RamMan22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Headlight Problem

Thak you everyone who replied, I ordered the part from teh dealership,it was only 60 bucks and will be here tommarrow!!!! its looks like a quick fix, thanks to steve for the Merry x-mas thread, i looked up how to take the bashoff, i shouldnt need to take the cup holders or ashtray out its a 1999 Ram, thanks again guys you helped alot!!!!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Ramsrush
Professional

To much money, uninformed = idiot

Old 06-03-2008, 10:25 AM
msbhavn_dodge

excuse the hell out of me.... i haven't had to buy one in a couple years....

Old 06-03-2008, 10:55 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: msbhavn_dodge

on a 97 or older you have to remove the cupholders...
Oh ok cool.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Ramsrush
Professional

Sorry about the name calling,I apologize.I've called myself that and worse.I have overpaid many times.But, now with this tool and the WWW I usually get the best price and quality.I keep all the part stores and catalogs on my favorites.You wouldn't believe the price difference from store to store.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:45 PM
ned1999
Default sounds like i have the same problem

I have a 99 sport. and my high beams, tail lights, markers, fog lights, and running lights all work. but when i turn the switch on my dash my low beam don't come on. just running lights stay on. I have checked all fuses and relays . i have pulled the bulbs out and traced wires as best as i could to see if they where frayed or broken. I took the switch out of my dash and it looked good nothing burnt or broken.

They have come on a few random times and worked for a little bit but not anymore. i have tilt steering but don't use it a hole lot.

Does my problem seem to be the same and it is the dash switch? or could it be the multi function switch in the steering wheel? or maybe something els?

Old 09-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

its possible that the fuse in the power distribution box in the engine for low beams is either blown or has corrosion on it. pull that fuse and re seat it if it isn't blown to see if that will get them working.

one of my lights would dim a little randomly and it turned out to be the plug for the bulb was bad. i knew it was because with the lights on i grabbed the plug and moved it and the lights dimmed.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:35 PM
ned1999
Default headlights

My friend who has a 2000 1500 and was having almost the same problem as me decided we would get to the bottom of this last on Sunday.

He is a wheel tilter and his blinkers had been acting funny and a few other things. So after checking all fuses and relays we pulled the plastic off the steering columns and found that the purple and white wire was broken right of. as soon as we touched it back to its slot we had low beams. this would also explain the blinker thing since the blinker wire is close to the low beam and when the low beam wire borke off and tucked the blinker connection it gave power to the blinker light.

On my truck i had checked the fuses and relays many times and where all good. i pulled out bulbs and checked sockets and power. it was all good. With mine sometimes they would work and some times not. I don't tilt my wheel vary much. so we took off the steering plastic on my wheel and saw that the purple wire was firmly attached and we moved it and still no lights.
so we took out my dimmer switch and took it apart and cleaned it all up and put it back. still nothing. Then we tried wiggled the hole multi function switch in the steering column and the lights did come on then went off. so we pulled out the switch and saw that the plastic on the inside of the switch was melted a bit. You couldn't see this till we pulled out the hold connection. My wire was still on good so i just bent the connector closed more and put it back and they now work fine. So in my case the plastic just melted and moved enough that the connection would touch then wiggle loose randomly.

I hope this helps others that might have this problem since my friend and i had the same problem but with slightly different symptoms. Thanks for all the help from everyone else to.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:04 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Updating an old thread, but, one a lot of people (too many) seem to have trouble with.

I had the same problem with no low beams on my '01 1500. Started with the fuses and relay--OK. Headlight switch checked out OK for continuity when the switch was on. Moved on to the multi-function switch to test it. When I removed the M/F (read that as you wish) switch from the column, just like Ned1999 above mentioned, the violet/white wire at the #19 terminal had broken off at the plug-in! (also a tilt wheel).
Soldered it back to the terminal and was off to the races! Free repair. I did not, however, re-attach the harness holder to the steering column; hoping to give the wires a little more slack.

Just a heads up to check things out before throwing money at it.

WC

Quick Reply: Headlight Problem