2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

axle ratio w/ new tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 01:37 AM
360magnumram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axle ratio w/ new tires

ok so here goes

I own a 2001 Ram 1500 5.9 4x4.
I love my truck...ever since the begining she was a dog so i tuned the engine installed a tbi spacer and a cold air intake.
They helped but it wasnt as quick as the other rams on the road.
So I get on my back and crawl under the truck and what do I find? a crappy 3.55 ratio....my answer was found

Now I ordered a set of 33's and with the truck already being kinda....sluggish...i decided i needed to swap my gears for a 4.10.(I do both highway and city driving so I decided that this would be best)
The question is.....what do I buy? I know I need one for my 9.25 axle and I see ring and pinions for sale all over. The rear end is easy you just buy the gears and the master kit and put it in...but I dont see anything for the front....How does the front end work exactly? What exactly do I have to change for my front end?
I need help soon because this problem really pisses me off....

thanks guys

Old 06-08-2008, 02:24 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: axle ratio w/ new tires

Welcome to DF!

Check your plenum. Remove the CAI real quick, look past the butterflies and down through your throttle body. If you see oil pooled down in there, the lower plenum gasket is shot. Known to cause power loss. Also, get rid of the spacer. Does absolutely nothing for these trucks since they are port injected.

The 3.55 ratio doesn't help your get up and go, but I doubt its the sole reason if its as bad as you say it is.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:41 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Gears might solve your problems, and correcting your plenum will help. The plenum repair helped my truck, but not the low end. I have 33s and 3:55's.

You may have the deathflash though. Check your ECM for a sticker saying "authorized factory upgrade" You can check the number and see. The "Deathflash" retards your timing and kills low end. It's a band-aid from the factory to correct pinging complaints.
I don't know about your truck but all the mods and repairs I have done have not compensated for my gear tire combination. But I really don't have the cash to swap gears at this time. I DOknow thatmy truck has had several "upgrades"...[:@]

So my next purchase, before gears will be a tuner. I'd check out the SCT unit. Unlike others, its programable and upgradable. Good luck.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:58 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The front axle is a Dana 44 and you'll need a new carrier to run anything with a bigger ration than 3.55. The rear carrier will take any size gearing that they make.

TB spacer won't do a thing either die to our barrel style intake manifold. Try this instead of the CAI: https://dodgeforum.com/m_613741/tm.htm

Old 06-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Texas97

the carrier split in the Dana 44 is between 3.73 and 3.92. the stock dana 44 carrier is for a 3.73 and numerically lower gears. in regearing to something numerically higher, then you have to get the right carrier for it, or you have to get a thick gear set. you can use the stock carrier and a thick gear set.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Wickedwiggles
Veteran

damn forums, kay short and simple what is a carrier and why do you need it and where do you get it.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Texas97

basically, a carrier is what your ring gear is bolted to and the axles are slid into it from the axle housing tubes. if you get a locker or something similar, that will replace a carrier, and actually is your carrier. i dont know where you can get a carrier from, i think you can get an open carrier on the internet somewhere. i have an open carrier for a Dana 44 sitting in my garage that ill let go for next to nothing if anyone is interested in it.

Quick Reply: axle ratio w/ new tires