2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tempermental starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 06:01 PM
tresvn
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tempermental starting

Went to start the truck turn the key, one click and nothing. No power at all. Hook up the booster pack and it starts right up. Drove 25 mins in traffic parked for 2 hours truck starts no problem. 25 mins back home park 2 more hours starts no problem. 15 min ride to the mall, park 1 hour. turn key one click no start, booster pack doesn't work this time. I unhooked the batt for 10 mins, hook it back up, one click no start, booster pack starts it this time.I drive home park 10 mins go out test batt 13v, start truck 14v. Idles fine. I did a search and almost everyone with a dead batt has idle problems, but not me.I looked for anything loose and didn't see/feel anything, I cleaned the lil bit of stuff off of the terminals and made sure theclamps were tight. Any ideas on what to check next? alt, starter? thanks in advance.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:43 PM
TruckinDodge
Professional
Default RE: Tempermental starting

next time when it just clicks once tap the starter with something if it starts after that it is your starter. Or at least that has been my experince.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:15 PM
dillonjm
Veteran

Check and make sure the cable connecting to the starter is tight and not corroded badly as well.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:19 AM
tresvn
Veteran

Could a bad starter cause me to loose all power? This is probably a stupid question but, it has been in the upper 90 here, can hi temps outside cause a starting problem? I'm gonna gp check the starter before it gets too hot today.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:54 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It's your battery, good voltage doesn't mean it can supply the amperage you need.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:22 AM
tresvn
Veteran

Thats what I was thinking. Guess thats the cheapest way to go as well. right now there is an energizer battery in the truck (was there when I got it) is energizer a good battery? This is my daily driver, what battery would be best? I live in a city with a ton of stop and go traffic. All I have in the truck electric wise is my sirius radio and very rarely a small Inverter to charge my psp.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:04 PM
heavyduty1983
Professional

have ur alternator tested just in case, i had this problem and thought it was the battery turned out to b alt. i use the yellow top optima batteries they work great in hot or cold and i run bunch of accesories off of it and it holds up, they aint cheap, if u want cheap but good maybe someone else could help u with that cause i only run optima sry

Old 06-09-2008, 07:29 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Since the forum is being stupid... I saved my txt as a pic. I've been trying for days to post this...

[IMG]local://upfiles/60925/4D73AA5337B84A5A90446FD4BB3C098D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-09-2008, 07:33 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you referring to my post? I'm guessing he used a straight voltmeter to check voltage. When the internals of a battery break up, they canstill supply proper voltage (only requires that all cells in the battery produce some current)but they don't have the amps b/c theydon't have the same amount of surface area to produce the amperage.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:07 AM
tresvn
Veteran

Yes aim I was referring to your post. It was a non-digital multimeter. Pc thanks for the info, I will check it first
thing in the morning and let you know how I make out. It hit 99 or 100 today supposed to be the same tomorrow so I
have to get out there at around 9am before it gets too hot. thanks guys

Quick Reply: Tempermental starting