2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

95 boggin out and flooding

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 04:38 AM
83blazerlayedout
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 boggin out and flooding

okay... kinda got a long one for ya...

ive been on tons of forums before but never this one and this is my first post... but here goes,
i got a 95 ram.... runs smooth, form the start, it idles perfect.. now this is the thing, awhile back i punched the cat out... check engine came on.. had the codes ran and came across the egr and o2 sensor. but this is the problem... ill be driving, it used to happen very far and few between, but now is a regular basis every day.. ill be driving running real good, and all of the sudden its like a switch gets turned on and it starts boggin out, i think maybe some carbon blah blah blah, hit the gas only to find that it dies even more.. i let off and it goes back up but i have lot all acceleration and any type of moving power.

so i let off, im still coasting down, exhaust is popping, engine about to die out and i smell gas real strong. i stop it and park it and its spark knocking, running extremely rough if not dieing out. so i kinda found a solution... if i turn it off for a few minutes, (mind you im on my way to work and late already) and start again, still running horrble, smelling raw fuel, and the idling slowly works its way to getting better.... if its running bad and i hit the gas, it pops and if i floor if real fast, it dies out even more.. okay..
now i replaced all the pcv valve and the breather and stuff, altho i know it has nothing to do with it just to make it breath better, i did the egr... come to find out it ran great after that, check engine light not on or anyhting, now

today i get it runnin at by buddies house, take it home to get my **** to gether for work, which is about 30 min away form his house... get there, get my stuff get back out get in start it up, no check engine light on still... drivin fine only to find out it starts doin it again......

what the hell is the problem?????????? its flooding itself out and whats weired is after work, 8 hours later, i can start it, it runs like **** for 5 seconds then clears back up and i can take it back to my house......... i dunno what to do cause the engine light doesent come on when its running like this!!!!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!
sorry for the loooong post.....

Old 01-19-2005, 11:25 AM
moparmania
Veteran
Default RE: 95 boggin out and flooding

my guess is the the os sensoer is messing with your mixture, i would replace the cat and the o2 sensors , kinda pricy place to start i know . i know they make a unit to plug into the 02 sensor that tricks it into thinking everything is great( used by some when they remove the cat and just punching it out might be giving you the same effect???). not sure if this is the best bet, im sure if im wrong soeone will chime in good luck man

www.thefastman.com/02Simms.asp

[IMG]local://upfiles/6094/4918F4E2F5B44D4AA43D9BAC1BC66DBA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-19-2005, 01:53 PM
moparman95
Rookie

It sounds like this problem is becoming a real pain. I know I'd be pretty pissed if my truck was acting up like that. If your o2 sensors are bad I'm pretty sure its going to run rich and that might be the gas smell your getting. As far as the knocking and loosing power when you hit the gas you might have a crossed spark plug wire so your firing order might be off. My friends truck was doing the same thing and I checked his wires to the cap and he had 2 wires crossed. I fixed them so his firing order was right and It ran fine.

Old 01-19-2005, 02:06 PM
83blazerlayedout

ORIGINAL: moparman95

It sounds like this problem is becoming a real pain. I know I'd be pretty pissed if my truck was acting up like that. If your o2 sensors are bad I'm pretty sure its going to run rich and that might be the gas smell your getting. As far as the knocking and loosing power when you hit the gas you might have a crossed spark plug wire so your firing order might be off. My friends truck was doing the same thing and I checked his wires to the cap and he had 2 wires crossed. I fixed them so his firing order was right and It ran fine.
no its not running alll the time like that... it runs perfect when its started... and itll drive down the road like fine, then when it starts acting up again thats when it dont do **** when u hit the gas.. cause it floods it more i think...... how much are those o2 sims because id rather do that than replace the cat from chrysler cause its 700 dollars for the 2 pipes and the cat.....

Old 01-19-2005, 03:05 PM
moparmania
Veteran

http://www.thefastman.com/order.asp?Product=02Single

i think they run 75 ea or 2 for 125

Old 01-19-2005, 08:33 PM
P.B.
Rookie

IF YOU HAVE O2 SENSORS AFTER YOUR CAT THEN NOT HAVING ONE IS DEFINETLY YOUR PROBLEM. IF THE O2 SENSOR IS BEFORE THE CAT THEN IT SHOULD NOT BE CREATING YOUR PROBLEM. YOU MAY ALSO WANT TO CHECK AND MAKE SURE YOU DON'T HAVE ANY HONNEYCOMBS FROM THE CAT INSIDE YOUR MUFFLER THAT GOT BLOWN DOWN THE PIPE AFTER YOU RE-CONNECTED THE CAT. THIS WILL CREATE MASSIVE RESTRICTION . IT ALSO SOUNDS LIKE YOU MAY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A WEEK SPARK AFTER IT WARMS UP OR YOUR SPARK ADVANCE ( TIMING ). IF YOU HAVE NO TIMING ADVANCE OR WEEK SPARK YOU WILL GET THE "BOGG" EFFECT AND THE UNBURNED GAS SMELL. KEEP US POSTED ALSO YOU CAN GET O2 SENSORS FROM A JUNKYARD FOR CHEEP. THE CAT IS A DIFFERENT STORY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL FOR THE TO SELL THEM. (UNLESS YOU KNOW SOMEONE)

Old 01-19-2005, 08:48 PM
rocdad

Same problem as above I am experiencing an intermittent problem with sudden loss of power and bogging down. with my 95’ Ram 1500 (318 ) at freeway speeds engine suddenly loses power and runs terribly after I pull over and wait five to ten minutes engine will usually run perfectly again this problem can happen after five miles or five hundred in hot or cold weather.
In fact I first had this problem in Florida and it resolved itself then drove to California with no problem now problem is back I have replace EGR and control solenoid (found it melted due to contact with exhaust system), cat converter, 02 sensor(replaced a few years ago in Florida bad again?) temp sender, and a few other sending units any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also vehicle passed tough Cal smog test?

Old 01-19-2005, 09:29 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

the O2 sims are for the rear O2's only and are not on your truck since it's a '95, dual o2's were '96 and up (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I'd start with swapping out the coil, cheep $42 bux for an MSD direct replacement coil for your motor (MSD 8228). A plugged exhaust is not gonna give you strong gas smell out the rear, if it was plugged you would be bogging down all the time and not just for a few minutes. I'll be the coil is going bad and is having an intermittant problem with it. Another possiblility is the cam and crank sensors... crank is ontop of the bell housing behind the passenger side head and the cam sensor is in the distributor.

Old 01-20-2005, 12:27 AM
moparman95
Rookie

My truck was chugging really bad and it wasn't running right sometimes but if you let it sit it would be ok for a while. This is kind of what your having do on with yours. I replaced my fuel pump and then it ran fine.

Old 01-20-2005, 12:42 AM
richardpetty97
Rookie

hey sry this is totally undodge related but does any1 know how to get ink out of leather, ive tried rubbing alchohol, milk, hairspray, baby oil, acne creams and acids, its not even fading any suggestions?

Quick Reply: 95 boggin out and flooding