2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission meltdown

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 10:57 AM
andy42s
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission meltdown

My transmission just crapped out at 91,000 miles. There were no warning signs. I was just driving one day, and it wouldn't shift out of first. Park, Neutral and reverse worked fine, it just wouldn't shift in drive. After driving for about 20 minutes it started shifting, but it didn't shift when it should, and shifted when it shouldn't. $2400 later I've got a freshly rebuilt tranny. I guess an electrical dohicky crapped out, and blocked fluid from certain parts of the transmission, causing them to "melt."I read on here about other guy's trannys not lasting much past 100,000. I was disappointed to come up 9,000 short! I got a little paranoid after that, and was planning on changing the fluid and filter soon. If it was electrical though, I guess there was nothing I could do to prevent it. I miss the good old days of carburators, chokes, vacuum operated accessories and everything else mechanically operated. When did everyone else's trannys go out? I wonder who has the lowest milage.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:17 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: transmission meltdown

Quote " I miss the good old days of carburators, chokes, vacuum operated accessories and everything else mechanically operated." I miss em too! Everything was so simple.

I see you are from Portsmouth, I'm a Long Island transplant living in Raymond NH, cool to see a local on here.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:02 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think mine started acting up at 97k or so and I got until 99k after fixing the anchor that falls out. At 99k I got tired of the issues of slipping and not shifting right and got a APS. I did have my speedo 2-3mph off from my tires so I'm sure I had slightly more miles than what the odomter said. IMO when it goes APS is the way to go.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:25 AM
timsalas
Veteran

What component broke? Temp sensor or something? Fluid pump?

Old 06-16-2008, 07:00 PM
jagxtype
Professional

so...is there a possibility of the trans case getting to hot and being ruined? Im working on getting #3 in right now with 134K miles. Damn things are the biggest POS im about to switch it to a 5 or 6 speed.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: jagxtype

so...is there a possibility of the trans case getting to hot and being ruined? Im working on getting #3 in right now with 134K miles. Damn things are the biggest POS im about to switch it to a 5 or 6 speed.
The problem is who is building them. One of these 46RE's are very stout once they are rebuilt well.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:55 PM
andy42s

Zman, a fellow NHer! I just went camping in Raymond a week and a half ago at the Pine Acres campground. It was fun. I also took my hunter education course in Raymond at the sportsman's club there off 102.

Well, they replaced 3 electrical things. Not really sure what they were. It says Solenoid Gov Press 4, Sensor Gov Pres 4 PR, and Sensor Output A604 8. I had problems with it almost a year ago. The torque converter was locking and unlocking at a constant speed and load. I came on here and everyone suggested replacing the Throttle Position Sensor. I did for $35 and it worked. I was hoping this time it was a similar problem. Apparently it was an electrical problem, but it caused the tranny to chew itself up.

My A/C compressor started to kick in and out rapidly last winter, while I certainly didn't have the A/C on. I pulled out the relay so it would stop doing it, and haven't done anything else with it since. It doesn't get too hot around here, and I actually prefer to put the window down, so I don't plan on trying to fix it. I just find it frustrating that automotive companies put all types of electrical componants in nowadays that are just not going to last, and usually it causes some other problem to happen when they fail. One of the basic fundamentals of engineering is Keep It Simple, Stupid. I wish they would!

Old 06-18-2008, 09:35 PM
SteamboatDodge

My buddies 01 sport just got replaced at 48k, my 95 went out at 170k, but MY 01 has 215000 on it and its just as strong as it was when it was new. I did a little research when my 95 threw its trans out, so when i replaced it, I pulled the check valve between the trans cooler and the tranny itself. They tend to plug up real easy, hence, no more cooled fluid to the tranny, and itll burn upfast. It was kind of a risky expieriment, but I worked that truck harder than any 1/2 ton should be after that and I never had another problem.

Quick Reply: transmission meltdown