2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why is my truck soo much slower than 01DodgeRam360's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 03:58 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why is my truck soo much slower than 01DodgeRam360's?

I was watching his video and noticed how much faster his looks to be than mine. We have basically the same truck only I have a 3" lift and 305/70R16's on 16x10 wheels. I have a Edlebrock air hat instead of a K&N, and I don't have the headers or gutted cat. I have a stock cat with a Flowmaster 40. I also have a Hypertech PP3 set on the premium fuel setting and MSD wires which he doesn't. I wouldn't say mine is slow but it seems slow compared to his. I can't remember mine ever not being like this. Do I have a bad cat making it run this slow? Would that do it? I don't know that I have any other signs of a bad cat. Anyway here is a video of my truck and you can watch his to compare. Just seems like mine revs soo much slower. Is this the cat or what? Is mine abnormal or do you guy's do like mine?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnycocctTdM

Old 06-18-2008, 04:09 PM
securtis12
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why is my truck soo much slower than 01DodgeRam360's?

A plugged cat will definatly rob your power. I have a freeflow cat on mine from summit and it definatly made a big difference for me. Your tires are quite alot wider than his also which makes a difference in power.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:10 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Would it make it rev that much slower thought? I just look at his and it seems to just rev freely like our Honda does where as the truck is like it struggles to rev quickly.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

He has a $4000 heavy duty transmission WITH a buildsheet

Old 06-18-2008, 04:29 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Did he ever get the buildsheet? I have a $3600 without install APS transmission and actually do have the build sheet. I have a 2400rpm stall converter too.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:45 PM
securtis12
Professional
Default RE: Why is my truck soo much slower than 01DodgeRam360'

I have a Dr. Evil with a 2100 converter and yes if it is causing excesive back preasure it can do that. try and blow thru a pipe then stuff a paper towell in it and try it again.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:11 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I understand the cat can do that. I was talking about if the tires that were wider would do that. So does your truck accelerate more like his than mine?

Is there another way to check the cat? I don't have anything to tell the temp of it. Would I notice other symptoms?

Old 06-18-2008, 09:13 PM
securtis12
Professional

mine spins up more like his actually a little faster to rpm but not as fast to speed (5.2 vs 5.9) no I do not think you will notice much else unless it is really plugged and the you will notice the truck running hotter shifting down more just basicly working harder to do the same thing. you can just take it down and gut it but I think a true free flow works better.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:38 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i thought our motor shifts at 5200 rpm at least mine does, yours looks like its 4800-5000, mabe it was reprogramed by dodge at one point, maber a chip will fix it, um a good tune up maybe, of plug, wires, cap, rotor, highly reccomend msd wires, and a coil is cheap too help out too. use engine restore, for v8, i noticed more power using that on oil changes. seafoam could work in the throttle body threw the vac line, and mabe a gas cleaner. fastaman throttle body is awesome too, i noticed a diffrence , it does seem slow and i own a 5.9 and both my cousins do too and there all not slow. something is wrong.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:55 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I have a Hypertech PP3 on it so that should replace Dodges programming anyway. I just did a tune up a few months ago with MSD wires, Napa Distributer Cap and Rotor, Champion Platinum plugs, and basica stuff like that. I ran a can of BG 44k through it at that time. This was around the time I had a shop put a APS pleneum kit in. I did the rest when it came back. I didn't change the coil but isn't that either good or bad? I've run MSD wires for the last two sets. The last set fit slightly different as Summit sold me the wrong set but it worked after getting a new coil wire from MSD and some custom work. Something looked like it had chewed on those and I had 40k or so on them probably so I replaced them with a set of MSD wires just recently and the rest of the stuff. They are the right ones this time. I have maybe 3k on them maybe 4 but probably closer to 3k since I did the tune up. I did around 8k worth of work to it since the start of this year.

Quick Reply: Why is my truck soo much slower than 01DodgeRam360's?