2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

feedback wanted to a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:33 PM
ct.russ
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default feedback wanted to a few questions

i have a few questions that i hope you guys can help out on .. btw i wanted to say thanks to all that has helped me ..

a programmer : lookin for feedback on witch ones seem best .. do they have a level switch on the fly like the diesels have .. ie normal, tow, sick , sicker , oh **** this is gonna breaksomething level .. i know they restore shift pointsand speedos .. but do they recalibrate the line pressure to the trans for the bigger tires .. the trans was just rebuilt by pre owner so i have no warranties so id hate to tost it ..

wheel spacers : i put 315/75/16's on stock rims with a 3 inch sup.lift that rub at full turn on the track bars .. ive heard of others running spacers but dont feel like theirs enough stud their to put them on and be safe .. so any input on what others have done would be great ..

lastly lol gauge cluster : id like to have a tach .. can i simply remove my cluster and install one from a model that had a tach ??

Old 06-25-2008, 12:26 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: feedback wanted to a few questions

ORIGINAL: ct.russ

a programmer : lookin for feedback on witch ones seem best .. do they have a level switch on the fly like the diesels have .. ie normal, tow, sick , sicker , oh **** this is gonna breaksomething level .. i know they restore shift pointsand speedos .. but do they recalibrate the line pressure to the trans for the bigger tires .. the trans was just rebuilt by pre owner so i have no warranties so id hate to tost it ..
The preferred tuner, and number 1 on my wish list, is the SCT tuner. Another option that seems just as good is the B&G flash. Expensive, but worth it. Not sure on recalibrating line pressure, doubt it. Not sure of any that do. It can have up to three tunes (plus stock): fuel economy, towing, and performance.

lastly lol gauge cluster : id like to have a tach .. can i simply remove my cluster and install one from a model that had a tach ??
Not sure, but I believe some rewiring or new wiring will need to be done. I'll let someone else jump in here on this.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:09 PM
mstephen89
Captain

as for the wheel spacers, the ones that I have seen go over the old wheel studs, tighten down and then grind off the old ones, then they have new ones that are rotated a little bit, its hard to explain but they seem to work pretty good, an old boss of mine had them on the front of an f250 with 6inches of lift and 36's, it solved his rubbing problem

Old 06-25-2008, 07:48 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

tuners are limited, and don't change on the fly like the diesels. hypertech and superchips give you back a little timing to overcome the deathflash, but they're not real strong. you can install/remove, and choose from a couple different options such as 89 octane vs 91. These are designed for stock engines.

B&G, Mopar Performance, are supposedly higher performance, and designed to work with cams, rockers, bigger throttle bodies, bigger injectors, etc. These are also not selectable on the fly.

no personal experience, but i think you can swap the cluster on the later models and the tach will work. be aware that the mileage displayed on the odometer is stored in the cluster, and cannot be changed. so if you buy a cluster with 400,000 miles, that's what it will show. also, you'll need to match the gas/diesel, and (i think) you'll need to match the auto trans/manual trans. i swapped my cluster because the speedo quit, but they both had tachs.

i think its best to avoid wheel spacers. i've heard of it causing frequent wheel bearing failure (big $$$) you might try adjusting the stops to reduce the amount of available turning.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:33 AM
ct.russ
Rookie

thanks for takin the time dhv .. russ

Old 06-26-2008, 09:02 AM
ron333
Captain

I have to agree on the SCT tuner, hands down. I personally don't have experience with the others, but from what I've read about them, I am happy I got the SCT. I like the fact that you get 3 different tunes, PLUS each tune is adjusted to your specific truck and its setup. ALSO, if you change something that will affect the engine or exhaust performance, you can get an adjustment to the tuner via email to make the best use of it. The performance I've gotten from mine is awesome! It very nicely compliments everything else I've changed on my truck.

As for the wheel spacers, I used a set on the CJ5 I used to have. I believe they were 3" spacers and they utilized the vehicle studs to bolt them to the vehicle, but had their own studs to bolt the wheels to them. They worked out very nicely, but I would tend to think they would have eventually caused the excessive wear on the bearings over time. Proper wheel backspacing matched to correct wheel / tire sizing would be ideal, but anything larger than stock is going to increase the wear on the bearings to some degree.

Quick Reply: feedback wanted to a few questions