2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tires make a difference

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 12:17 AM
DamascusKnifemaker
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires make a difference

Last winter I posted looking for ways to improve the mileage on the 01 Dodge 4X4 Off Road Edition Ram I purchased to replace the 94 Ram 4X4 that I lost in a fire. I was getting about 13.3 mpg on the highway. I also found that I needed to do the plenum repair. After the plenum repair my mileage went to 13.6 mpg with an occasional 14 when the winds were right.

I was pointed to a thread that had extensiveinformation on mpg and our trucks. I printed the thread and read everything several times.After much thought and researchI decided againstaCAIand a Chip change. It seemed my best bet would be a tire change. When I bought the Ram it had larger than stock tires (305/70R17) on therims but the tread was still usable so getting new tires right away was not flying with the wife. Three weeks ago I orders new tires to replace the nearly bald ones on the truck. I ordered 285/70R17 tires. What a differance!!!!!!!!! The truck actually tracks very well and does not need the constant steering corrections required with the old tires. The best part is mymileage has jumped to 16.2mpg.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:33 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Tires make a difference

Did you make sure you compensated for the tire diameter differences in your mpg calculations?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Shhh silver, dont blow this away with your silly facts and knowledge. We'd all be very happy if we think we can get 16 mpg lol. Im sure the tires have helped a lot buti cant get rid of my big boys. Would be nice to drive without adjusting the wheel every five seconds though.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:25 AM
DamascusKnifemaker
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

Did you make sure you compensated for the tire diameter differences in your mpg calculations?
Yes I adjusted for tire size. I drive 280 miles round trip. The two complete trips have both used less than 18 gallons. First trip 17.24 gallons used= 16.24mpg second trip 17.37 gallons used 16.11mpg. In my favor is there is no stop and go on the drive. I only have to slow down and stop to make a turn once on the trip. I am able to keep a constant speed through most of the trip. I do have to turn off the overdrive when I pull several grades. Prior to the tire change it was taking me 20.5 - 22 gallons to fill my tank after a round trip..

Old 06-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's probably about right though. It's a good running truck, almost all highway miles and it doesn't sound like you jump on it hard.
You make damascus knives??

Old 06-27-2008, 10:22 AM
kowboydmac
All Star

Yeah I have 265 tires on mine, and with a few upgrades/repairs I pulled 518 miles on 30 gallons = 17.26 and there was still a little left in the tank, so it was actually more but i figure yall would call bs on me anyway, lol.

It's weird for me to understand because I was going up and down a ton of hills, and was stuck near charleston for about 30 minutes in gridlock traffic.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:31 AM
mstephen89
Captain

no offense, but aren't our tanks 26 gallons. or is yours bigger

Old 06-27-2008, 10:47 AM
DamascusKnifemaker
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Aubrey

That's probably about right though. It's a good running truck, almost all highway miles and it doesn't sound like you jump on it hard.
You make damascus knives??
Yes I make Damascus knives. PM me ad I'll send you a web addy if you are interested.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mstephen89

no offense, but aren't our tanks 26 gallons. or is yours bigger
Long beds have 35 gallon tanks I believe

Old 06-27-2008, 11:14 AM
sunngod

There are probably two factors that are skewing your gains. 1. Air pressure. Your tires are new so your air pressure is correct (or higer because some tech think the stamp on the tires is the air pressure to use) and it is summer time. Your mileage will increase in the summer.

Quick Reply: Tires make a difference