2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'98 Ram 5.9L Engine Surging?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 02:00 AM
duckhtn
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 Ram 5.9L Engine Surging?????

My '98 Ram with the 5.9L engine surges at a light pedal going down the road and sometimes under a medium pedal. I just installed a new cap/rotor, NGK plugs, ignition coil, and Napa heavy duty plug wires. With this is still surges going down the road and I have NO idea what would cause that. When it surges its probably 200rpm, so basically if I'm doing 2000rpm it will kick up and down by the 200rpm. It's strange and have never experianced this in any vehicle before.

I removed my muffler a little over a month ago and put a straight pipe in place of it and this started a short time after doing this. I wouldn't think this would have anything to do with this, but I really don't know for sure??

If you know what the cause or possible cause of this is, PLEASE help. With this it's consuming more fuel that it should be.

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 06-29-2008, 08:58 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: '98 Ram 5.9L Engine Surging?????

just guessing.
faulty TPS actually telling engine to speed up/down.
faulty torque converter lockup unlocking/relocking. it'll change rpm about 300.
other excessing transmission shifting up/down or tc lock/unlock from other signals, including TV cable (throttle valve - kickdown cable).

does it surge up/down and feel like it stays in the same transmission gear/lock all the time, such that its just the engine surging...

or is the transmission shiifting up/down which causes engine rpm changes ?

Old 06-29-2008, 10:23 AM
mstephen89
Captain

TPS...EasyFix

Old 06-30-2008, 02:52 AM
duckhtn
Rookie

NOT in the Transmission as I know when a vehicle shifts and it's NOT that. I was a wheeled mechanic in the Army as well as some dealerships, so I'm NOT 100% clueless. That of course was back in the day when things were a lot easier and not all electronics that keep them running. Its ONLY the engine surging.

Thanks, I will have to check into the TPS then.

Could it be so easy??? I can only pray to God it is for once.

Quick Reply: '98 Ram 5.9L Engine Surging?????