2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

excessive fuel usage

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 07:56 PM
phre0n
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default excessive fuel usage

about a week ago, i replaced my passager side wheel bearing assembly, ever since the trucks been back on the road it seems like its been using alot more fuel then it used to.. and i have no idea why...i sat outside and listened to it run, didnt hear anything different except the exhuast sounds a little differnt, and i feel no power lost or anything... it almost like ill shut the truck off with a full tank, and i go to start it.. and its sittin on like 3/4 of a tank.. i looked for leaks and found nothing... i have no idea whats up.. and starting to get expensive.... please help if possible.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:37 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: excessive fuel usage

neighbor/friend/kid siphoning gas out ?

jack up the truck and spin the wheel. does the replaced wheel bearing spin freely w/o excessing dragging other than maybe a little brake scrape ? if so, i don't think it has anything to do with your mpg.

if the truck runs like crap, smells rich, and mpg is in the crapper - precat 02 sensor might be the culprit. these should be replaced periodically, manual says every 60k but they can last a lot longer (or not).

Old 06-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Dark_Horse
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it actually using more fuel (did you calculate MPG pre and post wheel bearing assy), or are you going purely by the gas gauge? In my Ram, the gas guage isn't reliable at all once it gets past the 3/4 mark. It usually shows E when I've only driven 200 miles, but when I go to fill up, It'll only hold 11 - 12 gallons. Maybe your gas gauge just startedacting funny like mine does?

Old 06-30-2008, 02:41 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It would be nice to know what year the truck is atleast!

Quick Reply: excessive fuel usage