2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TRANSMISSION HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 02:23 PM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TRANSMISSION HELP

Hello fellas,
This weekend I found out the real meaning behind the "N" on the the transfer case shifter. Saturday my truck stopped running in the middle of Texas HWY 59 North in Rosenberg, TX. So I coasted over to the shoulder of the road to try and start the truck which would turn over but not start. After about an hr I called my brother-in-law to tow me back home to El Campo, TX. When he got there we hooked up the tow strap I put the transmission in Neutral and away we went. We avg about 60 MPH all the way. When we got to the 1st stop sign near my home my truck would not roll. I looked down and saw the "N" on the transfer case shifter and decided well this might work. So after shifting that into N the truck rolled fine. Yesterday my best friend came over and we found that a leftover wire connected to the "hot" wire of the coil pigtail wire from a removed auto alarm had touched something metal and fried the coil. After changing the coil the truck started right but would not move. I was told that even though I put the Transmission in N the transfer case needed to be put into N as well when being towed. I was able to get the truck to move forward but it will not go in reverse. Is this a new transmission needed story? And if so does anyone know where I can get a good one that's not going to brek the bank? I drive a 98 Ram 1500 with a 5.9L V-8 and yes it's 4 WD.

Quick Reply: TRANSMISSION HELP