2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

dual straight pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 02:22 PM
cks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dual straight pipes

i got a 98 ram 5.2, and was wondering what would be the approximate cost of dual straight pipes. and would it be so loud that you would not be to talk when driving normal.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker
Default RE: dual straight pipes

Straights, yeah it would be very loud. Cost not to sure, but it would easily have to be a custom job. Im pretty sure there is no kit for our rams for a true duel set up. So it will probably run you higher than a kit price, unless u have friends in the right places. It wouldnt be so loud if u put on at least mufflers. Also if your running real straights you'll throw a code for the missing cats.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:25 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Straight pipes on a dodge are loud. It's not going to be quite in the cab either. If you want it loud but don't want it to consume the cab, they make plenty of mufflers out there that limit interior resonance while still having it pretty thumpy outside. Honestly, I would stay away from straight pipes, it's a cheap way to get an exhaust note, but it also sounds cheap too. A muffler will give you a better tone, and can still be as loud as straight pipes if you would like it that way.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:01 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

If you want it loud just put a trumpet exhaust tip on it.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:32 PM
robkdpl

I did a custom exhaust for a friend witha 98 2wd 5.2L. Cut off the cat to start, then adapted to 2 1/4 inch pipe, went straight back to 9 inch bodied glasspacks then over the axle out on 45 degree angle on each side behind the tires with 4inch x 24 inch tips. Had to buy an O2 simulator for the rear O2 sensor. Total parts/material cost was around $200. That sumbitch sounded healthy to say the least. He drew alot of attention from Johnny Law until he started to ease up on the skinny pedal. Wasn't too awefully loud inside the cab but outside was a different story, especially pulling a trailer!!!

Old 07-07-2008, 10:29 PM
heavyduty1983
Professional

i put true dual exhaust on mine but it is still legal until i get on it, im running dual flowmaster 40 seris with massive 4 inch tips, and it still has the cats, it cost me $650, there is probably almost nowhere to get a kit for duels like mohawk said so u will have to go custom, they r limited on routing space under the truck to run duels so i had to go out of town and my friends mechanic did it for me, mine is a 99 ram 1500 4x2 so they had to squezze them down the passenger side between tranny and frame, very very tight fit but if u dont go to cheap no matter what the magnum engine sounds beautiful

Old 07-07-2008, 11:27 PM
Redneck2345
Veteran

i have the next best thing, mine goes into the cat and goes into a Y pipe from there and than goes straight back (no mufflers) its loud to say the least, and when I pull a trailer its almost to loud. I get plenty of attention from the state boys, and the cat gives it a decent tone

if you want straight pipes go that route

Quick Reply: dual straight pipes