2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

air conditioning problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 03:18 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: air conditioning problem

Well when you put it that way ! LOL JK But like I said it's not that bad and the dash does not need to completely come out. And the only special tool you need is the disconnect tool for the AC lines. So the only extra cost would have been to evac the system and recharge. But it's fixed now so it doesn't matter, hope I can help you with any other issue you have with your Ram in the future. Have a great weekend. John

Old 06-14-2009, 11:51 PM
99dodgeJD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C shutting off after engine warmed up

I have a problem with my A/C and I hope I can find a solution to it.

Preface:
This is about my 99 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 2WD with 5.2L. It has 212k mi but runs very well. I bought the truck at 192k and the A/C has never worked right since I bought it.

The problem:
Just after start up from cold, I turn on the A/C and it blows cold - no problem. I start driving along and after the temp gauge shows it's running at around 180deg the A/C shuts down and all I get is vent air blowing. And the A/C doesn't start working again until the truck is cold again. I was told only two things contribute to this. either the fan isin't blowing the condensor cool enough- causing undue pressure - which in turn activates the high pressure sensor, OR... the accumulator (black filter thing hanging on the pass side) or some other part of the system is clogged. Since there's no visible leaks or outwardly obvious damage to the condensor, and since the fan is a viscous mechanical thing (it's attached the W/P so- it works) that leaves the accumulator. So I replaced that and started it back up. Problem still persists. I took it to a garage hooked it up to a standard A/C pressure and evac machine to pressurize with freon. They said it went fine and there was no problem. They obviously didn't take it out and drive it before they said that....

So now I'm thinking the high pressure switch is faulty. Does anyone here have any ideas what else this could be? It's now mid June here in San Jose, CA and next week they're saying it's gonna start warming so I really want to fix this thing.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:48 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

could be a partially clogged orifice tube(expansion valve). If it can't meter the freon flow correctly you could get that condition. It is a small tube looking part that you will find inside your low side line coming from the condensor.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:22 AM
99dodgeJD

Thanks. I know where that tube is, so I shall check it.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:19 PM
JerryC

Did you get to check and see if it was that tube yet? I have almost the same problem on my '99 5.2 v8 Ram only mine usually starts off cold, then eventually turns to just warm thick air like a fog machine (just not foggy) and sometimes it will come back on. I had the freon evacuated and recharged with dye added and it does not seem to be losing any. Let me know if you get yours figured out! -JerryC

Old 06-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by speeddemon31176
could be a partially clogged orifice tube(expansion valve). If it can't meter the freon flow correctly you could get that condition. It is a small tube looking part that you will find inside your low side line coming from the condensor.
Do tell? Please explain a little more how to locate and test this part. My AC seems to be acting a little squirrelly also, so I want to check it out before it gets bad or blows out something. I have kept it charged using a low side gauge and a bottle of freon, but I think I may get a high and low side set of gauges (if they are not toooo much money) to see if there is any blockage.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:57 AM
oklahoma

i DO NOT recommend this but when mine owuldnt kick on i think it had somethign to do with my wiring under the dash or some shinanigans like that i just wired a switch right to the clutch lol did the trick.... put the ground through the 2 censors though to make sure if anything bad happened it would kick off the clutch.. left it on all night... truck barely started lmfao

sometimes farmboy engineering isnt so safe... too lazy to find the right way to do it just make one up haha

Old 06-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by oklahoma
i DO NOT recommend this but when mine owuldnt kick on i think it had somethign to do with my wiring under the dash or some shinanigans like that i just wired a switch right to the clutch lol did the trick.... put the ground through the 2 censors though to make sure if anything bad happened it would kick off the clutch.. left it on all night... truck barely started lmfao

sometimes farmboy engineering isnt so safe... too lazy to find the right way to do it just make one up haha
Dude, you should have made it switched. I always wire everything switched in case I walk away and leave it running. I want to be sure when I turn off that ignition everything is off (except the security system of coarse).

Old 06-20-2009, 12:47 AM
oklahoma

it is switched i left the switch on all night hehe

Quick Reply: air conditioning problem