2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stoked

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Wickedwiggles
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stoked

Got the ram back from being painted, and have begun to tackle the steering/ door seal problems, all the moog tie rod ends came in today along with the DT profab trac bar, the skyjakcer drop pitman arm, and the damper that goes with it, unfortunately i noticed that the steering gear box is leaking fluid, should i go with a new one *the truck is running 35inch tires, on 6inch lift) or do they make rebuild kits? I ll be putting them in tomorrow ill have before and after picks up when i am done, cant wait to drive a really really big go cart!

Old 07-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Wickedwiggles
Veteran
Default RE: Stoked

or does anyone care....

Old 07-11-2008, 09:29 AM
ron333
Captain

I don't know about the steering box. At first thought, I personally would vote for a new one, but of course I would end up doing research first to find out the benefits and cost of a new one as opposed to rebuilding the stock one before I did anything. Is it possible that the leak is coming from one of the threaded fittings? If so, maybe no replacement would be necessary. The fitting would of course be a lot easier and cheaper to address than the whole unit.

As for the new paint, pics will be nice. I'm anxious to hear about how she handles with the new front end gear.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 07-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Wickedwiggles
Veteran

Your right mo, i got some pictures but first a story, I get the entire steering done minus a new gear box which i am looking into, take the truck to big o tires and the guy there tries to upsale me all new ball joints mine are near the end but still usable, as well as new hubs, minor grinding they were replaced about 5months ago, i said no thanks i just need an alignment, well he refused to do the alignment b/c it wouldn't be perfect, so i take the truck to menieke and park on the side of the building, since they managed to get a car stuck on the lift it was a two hour wait so i left it there, 3hours later they call me and say their machine will not work with my size tires and that i would have to take it to a off road shop or try jackie cooper, well jackie cooper couldn't do it either, so now i have a dilemma, I was planning on doing the regear to 4.88s and this with all parts including u joints is gonna run 1500, so should i just bite the bullet and throw in the ball joints and hubs also? they will cost price plus 250 in labor, or should i just do the ball joints? Thinking i can do hubs on my own, any thoughts on how hard a job it is?( the kicker is now i am gonna have to tow it to the shop!)

Old 07-16-2008, 08:26 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are the pictures? BTW what size tires do you have? Still the 35"s? That shouldn't be a huge problem. I don't remember your alignment machine where I used to work having any problems with bigger tires. I'd change the ball joints and hubs though then find a shop that will do it.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:48 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have other tires/rims for the truck that you can put on to get the alignment done?

Im still waiting for pics,,,,,,,,

Quick Reply: Stoked