2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What Plow to Buy??? Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005 | 05:19 PM
Weeking97
Default What Plow to Buy??? Help

i'm having a hard time deciding on a plow to buy. i'm thinking western could you guys give me your +/- feedback on western plows. also could you tell which would be a good one to purchase for my truck???
Truck info: 1996 dodge ram 1500 4x4 sport ext cab. all stock as of now.

Old 01-24-2005 | 09:53 PM
P.B.
Rookie
Default RE: What Plow to Buy??? Help

I HAVE MANY MANY MANY HOURS ON EVERY PLOW. WESTERN, FISHER, MEYERS, DIAMOND, YOU NAME IT. THE BEST MOST INDUSTRIAL PLOW MADE IS A FISHER. THEY WEIGH MORE, BUT THE EXTRA GAS YOU WILL BUY IS WORTH NOT HAVING TO FIX YOUR PLOW IN THE MIDDLE OF A STORM. TRUST ME.

Old 01-25-2005 | 02:34 AM
Weeking97

do you by any chance have any plows you'd like to sell?

Old 01-25-2005 | 09:49 AM
Snafu

I've used Meyer, Western, and Boss. To tell the truth, I like the Boss V-plow the best, but it's out of my price range. I've had nothing but trouble with Westerns.

We've been using the same Meyer plow on my parent's farm since 1979, have never had a problem and it takes 3 hours to plow that place out every time. I'm running an 8-ft Meyer industrial at my farm right now on my lifted Blazer. I like it a lot. The Meyer hydraulics are the best I've worked with so far.

Old 01-25-2005 | 04:26 PM
Weeking97

should i do anything to the front end /suspension or any before i put a plow on?

Old 01-25-2005 | 05:40 PM
Snafu

Just make sure all ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings, etc. are in good shape. My dad's been plowing with a '91 GMC half ton since the day he brought it home from the dealer new, never touched the front end.

Old 01-25-2005 | 06:04 PM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Snafu

I've used Meyer, Western, and Boss. To tell the truth, I like the Boss V-plow the best, but it's out of my price range. I've had nothing but trouble with Westerns.

We've been using the same Meyer plow on my parent's farm since 1979, have never had a problem and it takes 3 hours to plow that place out every time. I'm running an 8-ft Meyer industrial at my farm right now on my lifted Blazer. I like it a lot. The Meyer hydraulics are the best I've worked with so far.
Snafu- wasn't Meyers bought out by Fisher? I thought I'd heard something along those lines, and that they were now a basic econo-Fisher design, no where near as good as they used to be. I can't really remember now- I did all my research last fall before I bought the plow for my new (then) '03 Ram.

Old 01-25-2005 | 07:34 PM
P.B.
Rookie

The only thing I don't like about meyers is the spring loaded fold forward concept they use. The fisher uses the spring loaded blade fold back concept. Although i have a meyers 8' that came stock on my 89'w250 which is still intact. I have slowly been rebuilding it. Brushes, pump, and all waterproof corosion proof wire connections.

Quick Reply: What Plow to Buy??? Help