2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1996 RAM 1500 - Transfer Case Broke Off Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Menecrates
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 RAM 1500 - Transfer Case Broke Off Transmission

Ok, so here's the story...

Driving down I-35 into Iowa, the truck stopped. I tow it home and:

- The rear drive shaft front u-joint is broken
- The transfer case is laying on the skid plate
- Only thing left connected to the transmission is the hoses and electrical.

Now I need to fix this truck. Both the transmission and transfer case are hosed (transfer case TORQUED off the transmission).

I will admit that this is my first MOPAR that I've worked on (built pleanty of other US brands).

It's a 5.2L 1996. Transmissions and transfer cases are hard to come by.

What can I bolt to this motor to get it up and running? I am willing to change the fly wheel and torque converter if needed.

Any adivce? I can send pix of the transfer case and transmission if someone wants to see the carnage.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:38 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1996 RAM 1500 - Transfer Case Broke Off Transmission

Can't offer you much help but I do want to say that you need to let off the brake when you powerjack it. Post some pictures if you dont mind for fun. Your best bet is check a junk-yard. Or.... a good spot to buy a "bullet proof" tranny. APS seems to be talked about the most over the fastman, and dr. evil tranny's. As far as transfercase, if your willing to lay down some money on a new one (or rebulit) you might want to consider if you want to do a gear swap on your truck 3.55's to 4.10's for example, and get a regeared transfer case to accomodate since you want a transfercase anyway. Kill two birds with one stone. Budget = junkyard. Loaded with $$$ = send some to me jk, look around and buy what you need.

Quick Reply: 1996 RAM 1500 - Transfer Case Broke Off Transmission