2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I HATE DODGES!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:12 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: I HATE DODGES!!

Ok! Mine 180K! Other than ujoints,evap core, rad,plenum,CC, and a couple hub bearings and some bushings/bearings for the intermediate shaft. Original tranny and T/case.So whatever!

Old 07-25-2008, 09:16 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, I do sympathize to an extent. Automotive "expert engenieers" seem to make a lot of mistakes (bad dash, pleneum plate, etc.). However, at least these trucks are simple enough that I can fix mine! I bought my 99 1500 4X4 about 16 months ago with 92,000 miles, and so far she's got a new water pump, replacement transmission, new head gaskets, and a myriad of other small problems. But I just keep on top of it.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Dan1071

I work in a parts store and 75-90 % of parts for trucks I sell are fords and chevys. Every manufacturer has flaws and things wear out, its a truck and am sure it gets used as a truck so its expected especially when they get older. I have been a dodge fan most of my life and I don't care what anybody else says I will continue to buy them, own them and work on them.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:32 PM
Visious 318
Professional

HAve you driven a FORD latly? Must not i have had my share of them and every one i would love to light em on fire and roll them over the hill.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 07-25-2008, 11:43 PM
Visious 318
Professional

Also being a mechanic I will have to say most repaired are as follows
1. Chrysler/Dodge/ Plymoth/Jeep
2. Ford
3. Chevy
4. Mercadies Bentz
5. Porche
6. Kia
7. Nissan
8. Toyota
[align=left] [/align]

Old 07-26-2008, 12:55 AM
CySlyde
Professional

sorry but, every pre 90 mopar i ever owned was a complete tank. varey rarely had problems with them. every post 90 has been one problem after another. I swear all of them were built on a friday.

that being said I traded in a 95 s10 blazer with 309k on it. outside blowing pinion seals every 20k~30k miles and fuel pumps every 90k~100k it really had no reoccouring issues, that I have seen. I know I could have jumped in my truck and made it from NY to cali without major incident. my 99 ram with les then 99k miles had one owner previous to me. at 50k miles the past owner put new front u-joints and hub bearing in it. at 92 I did the same, I have also rebuilt the front drive assembly from the transfer case forward including new axle casing. replaced the transmission, several grounds. the gauge cluster. speed sensor. pleneum gasket. water pump, radiator. it is in the shop almost every other week. if i didn't have a warranty It would have broke me by now. I account for three reasons. #1 poor engineering #2 cheap parts and labor #3 careless mechanics at the dealership.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you how to determine which manufactures build vehicles that don't break down. Go into the dealership and see if they have a parts department. If they have a parts dept, they sell parts.People usually only buy parts when something breaks. Next go into Napa, Autozone, PepBoys or any aftermarket parts store, See if they just sell parts for Dodge. or do they also sell parts for Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Honda, Kia...etc. It doesn't matter if you buy new or used either. If brand new vehicles didn't have problems, there would be no need for warranties.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Visious 318
Professional

True but if we didn't have engineers that designed the shiznat to fail and when their are confronted by a better design or showen that it will fail they all become smart asses and reply Quote "I have a degree you don't so you don't know ****!" Quote. Ford is the worst about thhis crap. Chrysler just puts stuff in the wrong place, and design it with very little tunability. Chevy has the easiest tunability and cheap parts butthey to make one say WTF?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 07-26-2008, 05:54 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Um, when you buy a 7 year old vehicle of any make or model, it's going to have problems. Any vehicle that's properly kept up will be better, no matter what badge is on the front. Every forum I've ever been on has people ranting about the same "x" amount of issues on the individual breed acting up. If you are that worried about it, buy new. If you want problem free, fork over 40k for something brand new and let a warranty take care of it. Personally, I can afford new, but I'd rather put a few hundred into my 01 here and there and not give two squirts of **** if i knick it up picking up remodeling supplies.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:13 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hutch1973

Um, when you buy a 7 year old vehicle of any make or model, it's going to have problems. Any vehicle that's properly kept up will be better, no matter what badge is on the front. Every forum I've ever been on has people ranting about the same "x" amount of issues on the individual breed acting up. If you are that worried about it, buy new. If you want problem free, fork over 40k for something brand new and let a warranty take care of it. Personally, I can afford new, but I'd rather put a few hundred into my 01 here and there and not give two squirts of **** if i knick it up picking up remodeling supplies.
Few hundred? When these things break it's usually quite a few hundred. None of the common issues are cheap with this truck. Others makes have common issues but it's not a ton of them all of which are expensive.

Quick Reply: I HATE DODGES!!