2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Buying my first Ram!! Does this check out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 02:59 PM
01DodgeRam1500
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a sport model Offroad edition unless someone put parts from a Offroad and sport model on. The sport model basically has color matched bumpers, grille, and tail lights instead of the chrome bumpers, and grille and rough textured trim on the tail lights. The offroad model adds quite a few things. That one has the offroad wheels and tow hooks, it also adds 4.10 gears, transmission cooler, an extra 1.5" or so of height over a stock non offroad model, larger not longer shocks, a trussed front axle, and maybe more I'm forgetting.

As for shortbox/shortbed they are the same thing. The only other bed option I'm aware of on these is is the long bed option.

not true on the same color bumpers i dont have a sport model and my bumpers match the paint.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:40 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Again, its a forum! Guys with no problems are rarely going to post on it unless they are helping someone. Of course you are going to see problem posts, thats about the only time someone needs to start a new thread.

All I know is that around here, its hard to find a 2nd Generation Ram to buy without well over 100k on it. Yet you can find dozens and dozens of Chevrolets and GMCs with around 50k. The Fords are a mix of low mileage or really high mileage.

Good luck on that Sport. If the previous owner treated her good, and you treat her well, she'll do you good.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:13 PM
bobboraze
Rookie

Thanks again for all the help. I've talked to the guy and I'm going to get her... assuming the deal doesn't fall through. (competing with another buyer)

One more curious question though. There are so many Rams on the market, I've really been looking for a black one with the leather/ full accessories. Its been hard to find so I don't really want to pass this one up. Since you all know best, how much would all say is a decent price on this guy? I'll post the full description below.

The dealer drove her for a week and says she ran great. I specifically asked how the transmission shifts and he says perfect, the entire truck is top notch.

[[
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Sport
Black on Black Leather
Only 76,961 Miles
5.9 Magnum
One Owner!! Three Sets of Keys!!
Finest Example Available!! Inside and Out Impeccable, Mechanically Flawless
Wood Trim - Leather Package, Sport Package, Tow Package, Off Road Package, SLT Preferred Package. Original Window Sticker
This is an Extremely Well Maintained Garage Kept Truck. Full Loaded from the Factory with Every Package. Off Road Package Includes: 4x4 with Switch on the Fly Transfer Case, 136 Amp Alternator, Heavy Duty Engine and Transmission Oil Cooler, Transfer Case Skid Plate, Fog Lamps, Anit Spin Differential, Tow Hooks, Fuel Tank Skid Plate, Lock Torque Converter. Other Options Include: Power Seats, Locks, Windows, Mirrors. Keyless Entry Remote. Alarm, Infinity Sound with Steering Wheel Audio Controls. Full Leather Seating, Wood Trim on Dash and Doors. Triple Black Body, Bumpers, and Grill. Edelbrock Shocks. All Books Three Keys and Original Window Sticker. Clean CarFax and Title. Car is for sale locally as well on the internet so get in contact quickly. These highly desirable vehicles don't last long specifically In this Like New Condition!!
]]

Last edited by bobboraze; 08-11-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:41 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

KBB says $11,800 is what its worth from a dealer. KBB is weighted for dealers though, IMO, I never really use it.

Edmunds.com is a much better estimator. It says the truck is worth at most $8500 range. It depends on your region a bit too, but I'd pay no more than that for it. Of course, I have a soft spot for these trucks, so maybe thats too much for most people.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:46 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

around here a local dealer has a sticker price on a fully loaded SLT 4dr 05 hemi 4x4 32K,for $14,000. I bet I could get that truck for $11-12K out the door. http://newlondon.craigslist.org/ctd/790889204.html

So, I'd say your truck would be $7500-8500 IMO. After looking around, I would move on and spend a little more. For example, the truck from the dealer has the remainder of the factory warranty for almost another 40K or 4 more years. Sure its a bit more, but that could save you in the long run on replacing parts.

I have invested $12,000 (6K for the truck and 6K for repairs) in less than a year. I wish I had thought of going this route, but I took the risk... I actually like the Ram when its running well.

Last edited by 98DodgeRam1500; 08-11-2008 at 11:55 PM. Reason: found the link.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:07 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

DON'T OVERPAY! He's probably bluffing about the other buyer. This is a horiffic market for gas guzzlers right now.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:03 PM
bobboraze
Rookie

Hey again all,

Thanks for the help once again. I ended up making a deal, I pay for her tomorrow.

I as well had thought maybe he made up the other buyer, so I had offered him my original price. Yet the response was that they were going to hold out for the other guy. Whether or not there is any competition for her, I cut a deal with him for $7700. Which I think is a solid price considering what I've seen and looks to be what others would pay as well. I would still have to pay around $950 for shipping to Illinois, which I've factored in and still isn't too bad.

The carfax is completely clean, all maintenance is shown. The 1 owner took it to the dealer every 3k for an oil change/maintenance and everything.

I offered to pay with credit card (that way I could stop payment within a month if I had to) yet he says the fees are high. Which I suppose I could believe. He would ideally like a bank transfer, which I have no problem doing. Is there anything else I should do to make this deal as safe as possible?

Old 08-12-2008, 10:04 PM
bobboraze
Rookie

Hey again all,

Thanks for the help once again. I ended up making a deal, I pay for her tomorrow.

I as well had thought maybe he made up the other buyer, so I had offered him my original price. Yet the response was that they were going to hold out for the other guy. Whether or not there is any competition for her, I cut a deal with him for $7700. Which I think is a solid price considering what I've seen and looks to be what others would pay as well. I would still have to pay around $950 for shipping to Illinois, which I've factored in and still isn't too bad.

The carfax is completely clean, all maintenance is shown. The 1 owner took it to the dealer every 3k for an oil change/maintenance and everything.

I offered to pay with credit card (that way I could stop payment within a month if I had to) yet he says the fees are high. Which I suppose I could believe. He would ideally like a bank transfer, which I have no problem doing. Is there anything I should do to make this deal as safe as possible?

Old 08-12-2008, 10:08 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You might want to type any particulars of the deal you both agreed on and you and he sign it in the presence of a Notary Public. You can find one at any bank or CU. It might not be 100% legal and binding, but it goes a long way to help prove intent and the content of a conversation and contract between two parties should you have any reason to dispute the purchase or sue the seller.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:03 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98DodgeRam1500
Jason.W - looks like your family were the lucky ones. Not sure if you haven't noticed the common question in DF... they all tend to have a common topic.
What is this noise, what does it mean when it smokes (sorry HomeTheatreMan), tranny problems, how can I tell if I have a plenum leak, bad mpg (9mpg...), AC problems, Cracked Dash, etc... it goes on and on. Sure, there is a thread or two about "I just dusted a hemi", or "I towed from here to there and it didn't blow up".
Its common knowledge about the reliabilty of these trucks, we all took the risk getting a Ram. Some got screwed, some got lucky, but clearly... the majority got fuq'd. Others have too much pride to admit it... others like me bitch and moan about it.

Anyhow... back to the guy getting the sport... let us know how it goes for you. best of luck!
Exactly. I used to have the pride and try to stick up for them but honestly I just don't know that I can do that anymore. I too like my Ram they just have a lot of issues that it seems like the majority of people that own them have to deal with.

As for that truck the Super Swampers on there would turn me off. They probably wont ride the best on the road and quite often are used by offroaders. The truck looks clean but that would make me worry it had been beat on. Who knows though may have done it for looks.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 08-12-2008 at 11:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Buying my first Ram!! Does this check out?